4 Replies - 361 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Time limitations in Flash?

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hi Folks, probably a lot already been said on this subject but here goes!

I am doing my first ever flash application, building a world clock and so far its going ok. The final piece of the puzzle is to get a daylight map curve moving across the map.

I have created the curve and imported it into the stage and set its starting point. My plan was to set a middle and end point and tween it to move over the course of 24hrs BUT, i cannot do a 24hr long flash movie, any ideas how I can get around this?

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Time limitations in Flash?

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Time limitations in Flash?

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

I'd create a MovieClip with the animation scaled down. Say your full animation is X minutes long, you'd then play this MovieClip extra slow, X/1440 times slower than usual.

Quick and easy would be create a timer, and every interval figure out the time, scale it down to the length of this clip, and set it to the relative frame.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 17 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

Can you show us what exactly you want...will help answering better. What does the clock actually do ?
Anyways, you could scale down your clock time so that the movie becomes smaller. Like 1 hour = 10 seconds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

I thought about scaling down, but the time updates each frame and displays this in a dynamic text box, so if I go slower than 1 frame per second then the seconds will only update every time the frame changes, which makes the clock jitter.

Similarly, creating the movie and playing it extra slow alters with the time which has to be more or less spot on.

Really, what I am trying to do is move an object from one position to another over the course of 24hrs which creates the effect of daylight scrolling across the world. This will be displayed in real time so needs to be reasonably accurate (althought not entirely lol)

Thanks again in advance!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

break this animation away from the timeline directly. Like I said, you can use a timer to update over an interval to update this animation that is in its own MovieClip.

Leaving any other timeline (and framerate) dependent animation to its own game outside of this animation.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 17 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1