2 Replies - 1028 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

ITs and other branches of science!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Everyone is aware of the total lunar eclipse[ http://en.wikipedia....i/Lunar_eclipse ] occurred two days ago. The question is for us ITs(including programmers, network admins and others), dont we need to know many about other parts of science?.

Nowadays, most of science(or may be all) depends on IT. I think it is our time to know those who depends on us, this will help us in development, problem solving and automation.
Look for example if an IT expert also know about Astronomy, including its history, where it is now and what is expected[ http://www.earthview...ges/history.htm ]. We need to know how ancient astronomer(like Galileo) worked and how IT changed things now we have Hubble Space Telescope[ http://www.articleci...ticle_760.shtml ] and other modern tools which depends on networking and programmed software to work.

Also this will remind us about Pascal`s job while now with programmed scientific calculators you can do it in a single click!
This my view that we also need to know about other branches of science as well, so what you have about this?

SORRY: I have to put links as they are since I lost the editor functionality for two days now, no any tool is loaded even in full editor.

This post has been edited by smohd: 17 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ITs and other branches of science!

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ITs and other branches of science!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

I think it's just like asking if programmers need to know math. Also, check out KYA's blog entry why you should take non-programming classes.

We're in the business of information. So if someone needs a program to deal with science, we need to know it. cfoley does a lot of bio-informatics work, so he needs a lot of biology and chemistry in addition to programming.

Edit: Also, Physics is a good example of why we need to know science (ie., Game Programming as the obvious example).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ITs and other branches of science!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

You should gain as broad an education as possible. Learn about the sciences and the arts. Travel the world, experience different cultures. Do some sports and get good at at least one. Read books. Have crazy nights out and crazy nights in. ;) Do some DIY. Take a dancing or acting class. Learn to play an instrument.
A lot of academic subjects and topics in general are only superficially boring. The deeper you get into something, the more interesting and engaging it can be.

The more you learn and experience, the better you will be placed to put your job in context, and the quicker you will be able to incorporate new disciplines into your routine. You will also be a more interesting person with more anecdotes and life experiences. It'll build confidence and you'll have better self esteem.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1