5 Replies - 888 Views - Last Post: 22 June 2011 - 02:28 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Radial Movement and Difficult Terrain

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:54 AM

My friend and I were considering making a tactics RPG style game, and we really wanted to incorporate both radial movement, as opposed to tile, and difficult terrain. Now radial movement in general is not a problem, but when you throw in the difficult terrain, I'm not exactly sure how you would account for the loss in movement area, and render that to the screen instead of a circle. Anyone have experience and/or know of any decent tutorials?

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Radial Movement and Difficult Terrain

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Radial Movement and Difficult Terrain

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

Probably better suited for Game Programming. Moving there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostZeroSixx, on 19 June 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

My friend and I were considering making a tactics RPG style game, and we really wanted to incorporate both radial movement, as opposed to tile, and difficult terrain. Now radial movement in general is not a problem, but when you throw in the difficult terrain, I'm not exactly sure how you would account for the loss in movement area, and render that to the screen instead of a circle. Anyone have experience and/or know of any decent tutorials?

Thanks.

Are you taking into account the height of the terrain as you move around it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

View PostButchDean, on 19 June 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

View PostZeroSixx, on 19 June 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

Thanks.

Are you taking into account the height of the terrain as you move around it?

That's the plan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

So you need some kind of pathfinding heuristic?

Even though you are not using tiles you could still have a tile or grid based map and the cost of moving across certain tiles is higher than others. You could still move wherever but whenever a character passes over a tile its cost is added to the overall cost of movement and certain tiles have a higher cost value.

I think you can essentially just adapt the principles of tile based movement to allow any movement.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

This post has been edited by stayscrisp: 22 June 2011 - 02:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

That's what I was thinking at first, but a problem arises when you start thinking about how to stop in the middle of tiles versus at the beginning or end of them, as well as diagonal movement. I think it's better to just use a float for position and Pythagorean to determine movement distance.

Edit: Now that I think about it, combining the two could yield nice results. However, visual representation will be interesting. Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1