9 Replies - 611 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to remove / change a topic / question

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

I am new to DIC. Made a big long post on assembly programming and have now got much closer to an answer. I am getting no replies to my post so would like to remove or at least edit it and remove most of the explanation and include my updated code.

Does anyone know how to do it. (I did read the FAQ), and most of the guidelines.

Thanks for any help.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to remove / change a topic / question

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to remove / change a topic / question

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Moved to Site Questions and Support.

Your edit time has expired, which is only a few minutes since you only have three posts. It will increase with your activity. Feel free to just leave additional explanation with your post. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Wow, I didn't know that your time increased with the number of posts, neat!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

To a certain extent. We added it a while back since new members kept removing their code/posts after receiving help. It's a shame since it's annoying to people that want to use it to add stuff to their posts. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 20 June 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

To a certain extent. We added it a while back since new members kept removing their code/posts after receiving help. It's a shame since it's annoying to people that want to use it to add stuff to their posts. :)

My problem is that I read the instructions carefully which stated clearly to add as much information as possible, so I did. Now there is far too much information and nobody is answering the post because they cant be bothered reading it. (And I dont blame them).

So I would be just wasting my time adding more information to it. Especially since I can eventually remove or edit it by just making more posts, in that case I can ask the same question 50 different ways until I get a chance to remove the unneeded ones. I do see the point though of how it would disadvantage others who provide answers, but perhaps you should make a facility where unanswered posts (like mine) can be removed after a given time if the author so requests (for privacy). And then if there are answers, the author (assuming they are new / beginner) will have to request a moderator to remove the post for them. Then the moderator can check and see if there are any relevant replies and decide. I do think that people should have final say over their posts, and in fact under the data protection act, should anyone wish to force the issue, they could demand to have the post removed. So such restrictions are somewhat unneeded anyway, especially since I have just outlined 2 other ways to get around it as a courtecy. Still, there is always ProgrammersHeaven.Com and many other such forums.

Just some food for taught. Thanks for your suggestions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Personally, I would say that you have a good amount of information. Though it has been two days...our assembly forum is unfortunately one of the slow ones and it may take longer to answer one of those posts than a more popular language. I disagree with you on the statement that you have too much info. In my opinion, it is simply slow.

I would give it a little bit more time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

A couple of those points you mentioned are already covered by the Terms of Use. (Link at the bottom of the site.)

FranAsm said:

... and in fact under the data protection act, should anyone wish to force the issue, they could demand to have the post removed.

DIC ToS said:

License: By participating in the Forum, you agree that the owner shall have non-exclusive, unlimited and irrevocable rights (including economic, moral and all other rights that may exist in such material) and license to use, display, publish or communicate to the public, permit others to publish, the Posts, Messages, Snippets, Tutorials, and other works submitted to the Site, online and offline, for a fee or otherwise, in whole or in part, throughout the world and in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed without need of any notice, remuneration, compensation, royalties or attribution to you.

And I Googled that act you mentioned. All I could come up with was an UK personal privacy law. Hardly applicable to a public forum hosted in the US. (Where personal privacy doesn't seem to be an issue... at all. Kind of troubling, to be honest.)

FranAsm said:

Especially since I can eventually remove or edit it by just making more posts, in that case I can ask the same question 50 different ways until I get a chance to remove the unneeded ones. I do see the point though of how it would disadvantage others who provide answers...

This would no doubt qualify as "flooding", even though the ToS only specifically mentions cross-posting and disrupting the flow of discussion. - The same question is the same question, even if asked in 50 different ways. And having been a mod and a user on a few sites like DIC, the word "disadvantage" is hardly strong enough. The amount of effort that sometimes goes into cleaning up stuff like this...

That said, I don't necessarily disagree that it may be useful to allow users to edit their unanswered questions. After they've been answered, though, that shouldn't be an option anymore.

This post has been edited by Atli: 20 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I do agree with most of what you said, and since this is not a debating forum we can agree to disagree on the ethics legalities of privacy and so on. (Lets leave that to the lawyers and philosophers).

Be assured I wont be trying any of the suggestions made in my post, as I have been reading many posts on the site and hope to make use of it frequently with other questions I am sure to have. Perhaps even write a tutorial or three.

Thanks for your well taught out, and respectful reply, and for taking the time to do it. Fair Play.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thank you for your understanding! I'm glad that you still have found what you need. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 21 June 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

Personally, I would say that you have a good amount of information. Though it has been two days...our assembly forum is unfortunately one of the slow ones and it may take longer to answer one of those posts than a more popular language. I disagree with you on the statement that you have too much info. In my opinion, it is simply slow.

I would give it a little bit more time.

I will of course wait and see. Thanks for the kind advice. Of course, given that I cant remove or edit the post I dont have much choice but to wait and see anyway. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1