2 Replies - 1793 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2011 - 08:30 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Game Server Question

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

Hi,
I just recently came across these forums and thought it would be a good place to ask something I'm researching. I'm a fourth year Computer Science student and my part time job is designing ios/android apps. I've recently become interested in programming a tablet game that will work with both the Android and ios and also be multiplayer. Java is the first language that came to mind when I considered a server side language.

My experience in networking is limited, I did some BSD Sockets in my C Programming class, and I've also done a TCP Echo Server for a Java class, but that's about it. This is going to be a 2d top/down view game with up to 16 players playing at one time. It will be an action adventure style game, so it will not be turn based. My first question is, what protocol would be best? TCP or UDP? Also, I know there are some pre-built game server engines, but I'm all about gaining experience. Would a basic game server to handle player movements and events be to hard to program myself? Especially considering this is 2d? If so, do you know of any resources that would point me in the right direction? I've tried the usual google search of "Java Game Server" and "Java Multiplayer Game" and haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like to find a book or online tutorial that walks me through making an online game server. Thanks!

note: This is not for a class!

-Chris Nuland

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Game Server Question

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Game Server Question

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

This series should answer your questions and get your started
HERE

Seeing that your doing a simple 2D app, no need to use an external library. Just use Swing, nice and simple. Start off by learning how to create something simple for android. You can then start moving ahead and make things more complicated. I am not really familiar with mobile development, so I dont know if a tablet is different to programming for android. Someone else should be able to fill you in on the rest.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java Game Server Question

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

I don't know if HTTP would be good for this type of application, I could be wrong though. I'm mainly looking for the server/client experience, the tutorial you provided has a bit of that, but mostly web interface. I can give it a go though if others believe this is my best course of action.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1