Wanted: Multiplayer web game resources

Looking for good resources for web-based multiplayer game programming

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 5594 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2007 - 06:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wanted: Multiplayer web game resources

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking to program a web-based game that will, in the end, be connected to a webpage & DB to handle different information such as win-loss-tie records, rankings and the like. I have never really worked ona web-based or multiplayer game before and am looking for some good resources to start learning about it before getting fully into it.

Basically, if the resources would get me all the tools to make a web-based Tic-Tac-Toe game (simpliest game I can think of) that will have two people each on different computers play against each other I would be ecstatic.

I am still in the design process, and am more than willing to hear suggestions on any Language choice, Flash Actionscripting, Java, Ruby etc. I am just having a tremendously difficult time finding any resource to assist me with getting the multiplayer part to fly.

Thanks,
Boudge

This post has been edited by Boudge: 07 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wanted: Multiplayer web game resources

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wanted: Multiplayer web game resources

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

View PostBoudge, on 7 Feb, 2007 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm looking to program a web-based game that will, in the end, be connected to a webpage & DB to handle different information such as win-loss-tie records, rankings and the like. I have never really worked ona web-based or multiplayer game before and am looking for some good resources to start learning about it before getting fully into it.

Basically, if the resources would get me all the tools to make a web-based Tic-Tac-Toe game (simpliest game I can think of) that will have two people each on different computers play against each other I would be ecstatic.

I am still in the design process, and am more than willing to hear suggestions on any Language choice, Flash Actionscripting, Java, Ruby etc. I am just having a tremendously difficult time finding any resource to assist me with getting the multiplayer part to fly.

Hi boudge,

It might be a good idea to pick up a game programming book. What you're asking for is rather simple, but it'll take some background knowledge. A good example is a little pet project site my company has called TurnPlay, where users take turns making moves, but it's turn-based, so you don't have to sit and watch the board. It's perfect for playing chess at work. The great thing about this is that it's got a C engine in the background, which does move checking, but the drawing on the board is pulled straight from the database.

For instance, in your tic-tac-toe game, why don't you try something like the attached diagram. The reason for this is that you have can query for players, and their records (MySQL 5 triggers will help keep track of these, or you can create queries with a different structure to calculate w-l record automatically). Then you can query a game, and grab all the moves, and check to see if they are an X or O. The 'place' would be the place on the board (1-9) that the X or O would go.

This is very rudimentary, and I have left the SQL statements out for a reason. Here's a head start, but you'll have to learn all of the other stuff on your own. Sorry, forum rules...

rockstar_

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Wanted: Multiplayer web game resources

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:30 PM

View Postrockstar_, on 7 Feb, 2007 - 05:03 PM, said:

Sorry, forum rules...
rockstar_

Understandable.

I'm not looking for code, sql triggers, etc. What I was hoping to get from this is some suggestions of Books and such that others have used that would be good starting points, preferably for Flash Actionscript programming. With the number of books and resources out there, I'm hoping to not spend money on books that will not help me with my end goal.

I have found a decent number of good resources online already, such as DIC.net, gotoandplay, FGPwiki, etc. However I like having physical reference guides that I don't have to print out on my own to use for quicker references or more in depth guides.

As of current, I think I will most likely be using Smart Fox Pro, as a server base, with a flash application, and utilizing either C# or VB to run on ASP . net web pages. So to clarify I guess I am looking for suggestions of good books that would be good references for my coding. I already have a few C#, VB & ASP books, as well as some background in each.

My end goal for this pet project is creating a fully functional Rummy 500 website, chat rooms, W-L, tournaments, rankings, leaderboards, other stuff and (of course) an actually Rummy 500 game that can be played.

I figure start small, get a Tic-Tac-Toe type of thing up and running, and from there it will be a much less steep learning curve. Start small, then ramp it up, you know.

Thanks again,
Boudge

EDIT: Thinking that I should have included a lot of this info the first time, Me = Dummy. Planning on using Flash 8. Also, proabbly should have dropped this in the Flash & ActionScript section. Apologies on that.

This post has been edited by Boudge: 07 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1