5 Replies - 790 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

GUIs, Where to Start?

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

What's recommended to use to start making some GUIs? I'm wanting something basic and standard similar to .Net forms.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: GUIs, Where to Start?

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GUIs, Where to Start?

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

im not sure that it's the same as .Net because i have never used .Net for GUI but i really like Qt. you can download Qt creator for free and start right away.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 25 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Many people recommend that you should learn to code Windows API before learning Qt, MFC, or any other GUI libraries. I have followed this path, and it has been a very difficult, but a rewarding choice. It sets you up for the basics, since Qt, MFC, &c.'s code is translated back to the Windows API code. I don't think I would have the level of understanding I have now if I did not learn Windows API.

"if you work with MFC without understanding the API and then ask for help with something, and the answer you get is stated using the api (such as "Use the HDC provided in the WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC message") and you say "huh?" because you don't know how to translate an API subject into MFC on your own, then you are in trouble and people will get frustrated with you for not learning what you need to know before you try and use MFC." (http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/apivsmfc.html)

"But starting with Qt doesn't help you discover what makes it tick. A couple of months with Petzold and C will." (Hans Passant)

"...explicit Win32 takes a lot of code and is troublesome to get right. MFC is a thin wrapper, designed for programmers that already know Win32. Qt is thick, easier to use as long as you want to do what it lets you do."(Hans Passant)

API is pretty difficult and confusing; and it's not like Microsoft wrote an outstanding reference document for it either. There are many tutorials regarding this subject, though. This is one of my favorites:

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

There are also tutorials for Windows APIs on this forum.

Plus, there's a book called "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by sungchoiok: 25 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Qt dosn't require a former understanding of Win32, it's cross platform and works on TONS of different platforms. Qt has all the major stuff the OS handles in a cross platform library of some sort. it has threads, audio output, keyboard/mouse input, everything. Win32 is messy if you ask me, there is defiantly value in learning it but unless your really trying to dig deep into the OS there is no need to learn it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

View Postsungchoiok, on 26 June 2011 - 03:47 AM, said:

Many people recommend that you should learn to code Windows API before learning Qt, MFC, or any other GUI libraries.

That's very distorted advice, and its not true. People recommend learning the Windows API to complement other Microsoft GUI frameworks such as MFC, ATL and WTL. Knowing how a specific implementation works underneath does not help you understand a cross-platform library which has gone to great lengths to abstract out all of the implementation detail.
In fact, learning how it works underneath on a specific platform could even be counter-productive (Aside from the months time wasted learning something you'll probably never use), because you may end up trying to abuse the framework in a way tailored specifically to that OS, or mixing up with direct API calls; and the result may be non-portable code.

Here are a few cross-platform frameworks which need absolutely no knowledge of the underlying platform-specific code (non-exhaustive list, just a few which came to my mind)
  • wxWidgets
  • QT
  • FLTK
  • GTKMM

This post has been edited by Bench: 26 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have an opensource GUI framework for C++ programming.
a hello,world
Hope you enjoy it. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1