4 Replies - 1267 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2001 - 01:15 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Sci fair program

Posted 27 August 2001 - 08:55 PM

I'm starting, a Sci fair project, that is a C++ "Battle Ship" game, with an AI that sort of "learns" its opponents, but i don't know of a good, experiement to conduct, i was thinking of something, like, "Will an AI learn preprgrammed senarios, and accomplish them faster over time?"  something like that, but any suggestions would help

Thanx

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Sci fair program

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Sci fair program

Posted 28 August 2001 - 10:51 AM

Very cool idea! A few suggestions:
- To me, your question seems to be close to something that could work. However, won't the AI perform however you program it to perform? That is, if you go simple and have the AI guess positions in a preprogrammed way, then that's how it's going to act: in a preprogrammed way, with no "learning." One of the drawbacks to Battle Ship as I see it is the lack of interesting scenarios. Ship placement is not all that interesting, since it's almost always random at its heart. Tactics really only come in when you're choosing positions to attack, and even then, they're not very complex. Maybe you could do some sort of project where you use the program as a simulation to make a data set. You could set up a handful of different attack-position-picking methods or algorithms, run them a bunch of times versus a "control" algorithm (or yourself, maybe, though you'd probably get tired of playing the game), and see how each method fares.

Good luck and have fun!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2001 - 05:48 PM

wow, sounds awesome, i just want to ask you, how much about programming do you know, because this is a project that you'll want to split up into pieces...kudos to you if you can acomplish this huge task that you have set forth for yourself :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2001 - 07:03 PM

i know, kinda alot, i know arrays, alittle data file type stuff, loops, functions, and structures, im starting to get into object oriented programming, classes, and linked lists, i'm tring to get those down in the next few months.,

and you guys are right, i do feel alittle limited with "Battle Ship", im thinking of making my own game, maybe, a Risk like game, but i don't know how i would do that in Ascii graphics.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2001 - 01:15 AM

Even i would like to join u,
i now about oops,loops,functions,classes,linked list's
can work on the project with some guidance
contact me at cowboyraj@ijustdontcare.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0