4 Replies - 518 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2011 - 05:09 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Setup Project not fully uninstalling need alternatives

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

Ok so I am at a point where my clients are continuously asking for changes/additions to a program and even if I increment the version of the application in the setup file, the assembly AND have the option to removePreviousVersion set to true, some changes do not take effect unless I manually uninstall the program and install the new setup.msi. Am I missing something? Or should I ditch VS's default setup project altogether and find an alternative. If so what is a good alternative, open source / Free would be best. Thanks.

EDIT: Topic should say Uninstalling PREVIOUS VERSION

This post has been edited by lando786: 29 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Setup Project not fully uninstalling need alternatives

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Setup Project not fully uninstalling need alternatives

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

If you make changes outside of the installer, the installer doesn't know about them; for example, adding registry entries, creating log files, etc. That is your likely problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

Its mostly just some small additions to the code, I clean, build the solution and then build the setup project and sometimes even form changes do not show up on install when I run the MSI, there is a .exe file also with the msi which I never use. Do they have to be in the same folder when the msi is ran?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

If you are deploying updated versions often, it would make it very much easier on you to look into ClickOnce. With that, you can have it set so that everytime the ClickOnce application starts, it checks the deployment path for an update. Or you can have it set so it happens before the application closes.

But that way you would be completely hands-off. I don't know the type of environment you have, but ClickOnce can be deployed and published through many methods.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

I actually misunderstood the problem, sorry. I thought this was a problem uninstalling and leaving detritus behind.

How did you add your deploying files to the setup project? Did you add the Project Output of each required project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1