2 Replies - 1264 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

WSSF with WCF help needed

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Evening Dream in coders,

I'm in a frustrating situation where my work requires that I understand Web Service Software Factory (WSSF) and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) very well.
The problem is, the tutorial I was given (the msdn blue yonder airlines tutorial) is not very helpful for me.
It tells you step by step what you need to do, but it does a very poor job of explaining what the hell you are doing.
I've done the tutorial about 6-7 times, so I feel I could make a basic web service from scratch and call the method from the server.
I just don't feel comfortable enough to work with a big business project that uses these technologies, which is what my boss wants me to do.

My question is, how did you guys get such a good understanding of WCF and WSSF?

I've looked online for good tutorials and have been disappointed with them as they are either just WCF or just WSSF, but not both :(
I'll keep doing the tutorial until it hopefully sinks in, but this is unlikely as so much of it is alien to me.
I've also wrote down a few questions while doing the tutorial, but I won't post them here in case noone here uses WCF and WSSF.

Thanks for any help :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WSSF with WCF help needed

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WSSF with WCF help needed

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

It's not always about reading a tutorial and understanding it. Do the code yourself, then change it, and see what happens. Do other things that you think you may want to do, and see what happens. Experimenting with the code, in my opinion, will help with learning more than reading a tutorial.

For me, the way I learn things is by actually doing them instead of reading tutorials.

And I've never even heard of WSSF.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WSSF with WCF help needed

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

It's only 3 years old so it's not a mature technology, but it does surprise me how many .NET developers that don't know about it. Which makes it hard to find useful information on it :(

To put it in its simplist form, it's a software that intergrates with Visual Studio that allows you to drag and drop the methods and parameters your web service will provide to a client, then you click "generate code" and it creates the classes/proxies with the information you need in them, in a design pattern of your choice :)

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 29 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1