10 Replies - 1467 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Job description Linux requirement

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi quick question. When a job description says that it is required the candidate to have experience with Linux, what kind of Linux does it refer to? does it refer to Linux Mint or Ubuntu or Linux (what will that be)?

thanks...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job description Linux requirement

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job description Linux requirement

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

You might want to contact the company on what flavor they are interested in. My guess is they just don't want to you to spaz out when you are not using the latest iOS or something.

Edit: there's no direct link or jargon you are missing. No one outside that company can give you the accurate information on what "linux" means to them.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 30 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

i think the fact that you are asking means maybe this job isn't for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

** Moved to Corner Cubicle **

I think it means that you should be able to navigate, edit text and execute command-line based programs with only the Linux terminal and be able to compile some code on it (without an IDE). Learn to use Vi, Joe, Nano, or Emacs as a command line text editor.

Ubuntu definitely does not fit the bill.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

thank you for responding.

supersloth thanks for the comment, but you're not answering my question.

I never use other operation system before besides windows so would like to expand my development environment, like to linux. I already familiar with Ubuntu and I just look at Linux Mint which is easy enough to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 30 June 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

** Moved to Corner Cubicle **

I think it means that you should be able to navigate, edit text and execute command-line based programs with only the Linux terminal and be able to compile some code on it (without an IDE). Learn to use Vi, Joe, Nano, or Emacs as a command line text editor.

Ubuntu definitely does not fit the bill.

I just search for Vi and Nano, and I really want to learn them unless you know other tools that people and companies use the most out there for Linux. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Ubuntu Linux, Mint Linux (based on Ubuntu), Fedora, and Mandriva style Linuxes, though popular, may not be the best way to learn the workings of Linux. Like I said before, if you can't do everything with terminal, you're probably learning incorrectly. Here's a challenge for you - unplug your mouse and then try to work.

Though at times, you will be able to use a mouse and nice GUIs, you also need to learn the terminal and how to read the man pages. Vi comes on almost every Linux box I've seen, so I'd definitely learn that. There is a steep learning curve, so beware.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

There is nothing wrong with using ubuntu to learn... what is meant is knowledge of the *nix commands and file structure. ALL linux is based on a similar kernal, its just implemented differently. It might be best to learn with a more commercial server version such as centOS or even freeBSD. Learn how to install it yourself, partition it, configure, and secure a web server with just the keyboard.

Remember most of linux is free. Setup a virtual environment on your computer using VMWare or similar, and try to do the above. Once its set up, pick up a book on introductory Unix.
Basically you want learn the commands such as bash, ssh, etc...

good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

On the project I'm currently on, they asked me about Solaris prior to the interview. So I spent a couple days getting all familiar with Solaris' inner workings. Turns out they use Red Hat. So, somewhere, there was a disconnect. Heh. Good times with Mr VM though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

You can certainly learn your way around linux in Mint. Alt-F1, alt-F2, ... alt-F6, will each take you into a shell, so you can get used to them. If you get stumped and you want to use your GUI web browser, alt-F7 will take you back to the happy mousey-clicky place.

You should get to the point where you find the mouse-based interface somewhat annoying, and you resent it for slowing you down and getting in your way. That's when you know you're really a *ix hacker.

Learning some C won't hurt, if you haven't already - it's sort of the native tongue of the unix-flavored OS. Definitely get familiar with bash or whatever shell you end up liking (I don't know what's installed as the standard default on mint, but bash is quite good). Learn some perl - it's amazing how often I reach for perl to do basic system stuff.

And you have to play at least one rogue-like obsessively. Rogue, hack, nethack, larn - pick one and get hooked on it. It's a rule, don't ask me why. You're not a linux geek without it. (adventure is a reasonable substitute)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

I would say OpenBSD. With Ubuntu I was far too spoiled to get anything really done, and all I was doing was running around screaming 'yay linux' while knowing nothing. It's like using photoshop and calling yourself a designer. It takes years of work and some times lessons to be a true *nix user.

OpenBSD forces you to learn things, it's not easy and never will be. It's meant to be secure and stable. The community is built around this. They have no interest in hand holding or coddling newbies. There's a massive amount of documentation and web pages covering everything you need to know, so it forces you to be more resourceful.

Oh, and it comes with no GUI, you have to find one and build it.

Perl. Swiss Army Chainsaw of *nix. You absolutely must learn both this, C, and BASH.

Another point to vi, I use it frequently anymore, but it does have a bit of a learning curve to be fair.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1