7 Replies - 23141 Views - Last Post: 10 April 2007 - 06:24 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How to start making games?

Post icon  Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I was wanting to start making my own games and I was wondering a) if anyone knows of great websites/books that will teach me how to programme a game and B) What is the best software to use for game making?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to start making games?

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to start making games?

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

That would depend on the type of game you're looking to create. 3D? Shooter? MMPORG? Text Based? 2D?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

Im really wanting to make an RTS as I love playing them and I would love to design one to share with people and hopefully when my skills get better try to build abit of an online community around it. :D But that is far off in the future all I want to know how to do at the moment is make myself RTS at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

View PostSneblot, on 10 Feb, 2007 - 11:52 AM, said:

Im really wanting to make an RTS as I love playing them and I would love to design one to share with people and hopefully when my skills get better try to build abit of an online community around it. :D But that is far off in the future all I want to know how to do at the moment is make myself RTS at the moment.

Although their site is down this week because of a recent attack, I have found that gamedev.net is a great place to get tutorials and stuff.

As sucky as it sounds, it may be best to start with just programming and then work into game design and programming. From the sound of it, this is your first (ambitious) jump into video game programming.

Its a lot of work, and really time consuming.

I suggest picking a part of game design that you want to focus on. Are you interested in the back end code of the game or are you thinking more the actual graphics? A good place to start is modding communities. Because mods branch off an already built game, you can still learn the elements of game design without the daunting tast of actually having to program EVERYTHING. Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:24 AM

Don't listen to what the other guys say. Look, I understand your devotion to making a really cool RTS game.. If you want to get the quickest results with the easiest path, I would suggest, learn how to script, in IRC. (Internet Relay Chat)

You can write scripts in mIRC (www.mirc.com) that can do a variety of functions. You can write a text-based RTS game that will not only teach you the basics of programming but will help you decide if programming is for you or not.

I started scripting (programming) in mIRC about 10 years ago. It was my starting point for programming and I think it's a great place to start. While some might argue that it is not acutal programming, it is the basis of which you can learn on.

I'm no salesman or anything, but if you download mIRC, it includes a help file that will teach you the basics of scripting. In addition, it can connect you to a world full of other programmers/scripters that can guide you in the right direction.

Good luck in your journey, and when you make that RTS game, I'd love to try it out!

I'm a big Command & Conquer fan :D

Cheers!
-Justin
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I like to get more information On

textbased Games Codeing and such any Place i can Go for that
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• Cattlebruiser

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:00 AM

goto http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:24 AM

The experts around here might think this is lame, but when I first wanted to learn I bought a program by Interplay called "Learn To Program BASIC". It comes with lessons and examples, and I liked it alot. Its old, but you can still find it for only $5 or so.

Then I used the free CCE version of Visual BASIC until I could afford to get the pro version.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1