4 Replies - 4988 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Starting a New Project. Advice?

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

So I've been wanting to learn a new programming language for a while. I started learning C++ but I'm still only doing basic console apps.

Basically, I play for a local tennis club with some friends. I want to create a program to input scores and statistics. I know there are loads of "apps" available for this on both android and apple, but this is a pure learning experience. Working on something that will end in something usable and beneficial will really make me learn quicker.

So the basic functions of the program will be:

• Easy click to add score
  • Have options for: first serve in, second serve in, double fault, ace, forehand winner, backhand winner etc..
  • easy functionality (have to input after point, so should be as quick as possible)
  • print reports to log files and keep records of overall percentages of stats

I'm mainly a web developer and have never really settled with a true programming language. I could probably make an offline PHP version, but I want to learn something new :)

What language would you guys recommend?

Am I starting too big or should this be a reasonable project? Bear in mind time isn't an issue, I have time to put in and learn.

I think I could handle the math and functionality side on C++, but I don't know much about API or making any kind of GUI. Would something like Java be better?

Looking forward to your input :)

EDIT: Oh and I will be running it on my netbook for the time being. But I plan on getting an android tablet sometime before the end of the year, so a cross platform language would be ideal.

This post has been edited by Slice: 05 July 2011 - 03:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting a New Project. Advice?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting a New Project. Advice?

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

If you're looking for cross platform then Java or C++ would be your best bet. I'm not sure how hard it is to make a GUI in C++ now, but a year I ago I was in your shoes and the only way I knew of to make a GUI in C++ was with the Win32 API. I got confused on the Hello World tutorial for the Win32 API, but that's just me. I was in my 1st programming course and was in way over my head.

Java would be simpler for you. You can easily create your GUI and if you want you could intertwine it with a MySQL database to keep track of the scores.

Hopefully someone with more C++ experience will reply and give you more details on that end of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Well if your looking for making an iOS application then you would need to learn how to program in Objective C. It's a lot like C++ but some changes. Obj-C works on Macs, iPods, iPads, iPhones, anything apple.

Then there's Java, that comes in handy when your programing a mobile app on Android. I don't know many details, I started programming in it but I got lost quick (I don't know about anyone else, but that's me).

If your just looking to program a desktop application on Windows or Linux or whatever then go with Java (Built-In GUI Library) or using Qt do C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Thanks guys, Java definitely seems like the way forward.

I posted a thread in the C++ section a couple of days ago about making a GUI app, does seem like it's a lot harder than I thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

I would do it in java just because GUI is quick, simple and you could always rewrite and put it into a simple android application. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1