14 Replies - 6495 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What freelancing site do you use?

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Well, I have recently really been nicking to start finding freelance jobs but have forgotten the site I used to use, So I thought I would ask you guys what site you use.

What site?
Pro's / Con's?
Anything you wish was better?
What makes it the best?

Thanks for all the help!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: What freelancing site do you use?

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What freelancing site do you use?

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

I use vworker.com (previously rentacoder). I personally think it's really good, even though the only other site I've used was elance.

elance was horrible, over there cheaper is better, nobody cares about quality. People also constantly make duplicate accounts so that they can give themselves jobs and give themselves the good rep.

vworker is like, 500x better. The users are very friend and so far I've landed two jobs (I've only been applying for jobs for like, a month), both just finished and I've received some good ratings. Hopefully, this will make it easier to land some more jobs. People actually care about quality too, they will choose the more expensive person if that person has a lot of good ratings. Oh and there are many projects open at once, it's very easy to find stuff that's in your limit as a programmer.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 10 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I used to use Rent A Coder, & I think I've done maybe one or two jobs since it's switched to vlance, & it really is a great resource if you understand a few things about the industry. You just have to understand what makes a good client to work for, & not be discouraged because someone wants a YouTube clone for $100 in two days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

I use vWorker, and oDesk, which is also very good as far as people having realistic expectations on fees.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

On vworker the other day I saw a bid like this:

$500.
Title: Gaming website
Description:
I need a full website that can let people play any game they want on cross platform. This means one user can play his game on a PS3 while the other user plays the same game on the xbox 360, but their playing together.

He went on about how it's gonna be the next big thing. I found it rather insulting in a way. He wanted someone to create a technological breakthrough in gaming as we know it, a full website to support said breakthrough, and hand it all over for a measly $500.

There are some crazy projects out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 22 July 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

$500.
Description:
I need a full website that can let people play any game they want on cross platform. This means one user can play his game on a PS3 while the other user plays the same game on the xbox 360, but their playing together.

He went on about how it's gonna be the next big thing. I found it rather insulting in a way. He wanted someone to create a technological breakthrough in gaming as we know it, a full website to support said breakthrough, and hand it all over for a measly $500.

Ah I wish I could recount some of the proposals I've been given in meetings at work - coming from ostensibly well-informed people! "Well ya know Facebook..." is so ominous, it seems to me that people are looking at websites like Facebook on a purely superficial basis, seeing the success they have enjoyed and then erroneously believing that they can easily replicate the same success in the context of their business! :helpsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

I've found freelancing sites to be inefficient, I don't like finding work and prefer it to find me..

For this reason I personally feel that the best way to find freelance work is via your own website. As long as you have a good showcase of what you can do, and a clear definition of the services that you can provide, along with enough information for a company (individuals are generally useless as clients) to be able to trust you, your skills, and what you generally say on your website - Then you're good to go.

I am however registered on Freelancer.com and have been for a while, there's a couple of interesting projects that I would bid on but hardly anything comes of them, even after gaining 99th percentile in several tests. They're all generally too low anyway with the average hourly rate I've seen hovering around $20-$25.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I like elance, it's nice
--LF
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

I use Eliance & Vworker these are good foe making a bid.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

I have been using Elance and Freelancer.com, most of the listings on Freelancer.com are wanting data entry type stuff, and just fills the listings. All wanting something done in PHP or Drupal.
Elance on the other hand has a bit more refined listings, but both have low hourly rates and tends to be slow in getting back to you on your proposals or have long windows for proposals, before being closed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Alright guys, It has been almost 1 1/2 weeks now and I have registered to both Scriptlance, Guru, and Elance and I am having no luck at all. I have made bids and submitted proposals to atleast 15 different projects and have only gotten a reply from one, but they said the work had been already fulfulled :(. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just how it is?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Unfortunately that's just how it is. I joined Scriptlance in 2009, and during my time there have completed 90+ projects. But can't win anything now. It's all low-ball bids and bad buyers only looking for the cheapest $5 p/h people.

Although I don't have the time to do it now, as it would be pointless - with the amount of time spent just looking for a decent project and bidding on it. And as for getting a reply from buyers - they just seem completely disinterested, and not replying to anyone.

Personally I've found that there are a lot of timewaster buyers on there, just posting projects for the sake of it, and then they end up cancelling them anyway :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 28 July 2011 - 02:43 AM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 22 July 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

$500.
Description:

Ah I wish I could recount some of the proposals I've been given in meetings at work - coming from ostensibly well-informed people! "Well ya know Facebook..." is so ominous, it seems to me that people are looking at websites like Facebook on a purely superficial basis, seeing the success they have enjoyed and then erroneously believing that they can easily replicate the same success in the context of their business! :helpsmilie:

If a coder can produce such a breakthrough that can potentially reap millions of dollars in long term profit, why in the world would he do it for someone else for $500. Some people really can't think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Postdrayarms, on 19 January 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Some people really can't think.

The problem is that people don't know, understand, or respect what it takes to create a website of any level.

Case in point, I created a yard sales site as a small side project with my mother in law. She had mentioned some features she wanted to see in it, & was complaining about the turn-around time. I asked her how many lines of code she thought I had in the project, she guesstimated somewhere around 100.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

I have been using essaywriters.net for 6 month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1