7 Replies - 842 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

in need of Advice

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

hello coders
my name is Ayush
i have been coding in c++ for last 6 months
right now i am exposing myself to java and various data structures and algorithms
but i am being confused of as to what areas focused right now will get me good money in the next 6-7 years(what i want to know is what will be in demand)

so can u plzz help me i am in second year of engineering in India
i am open to suggestions such as cloud computing,mobile designing,web designing,Android n all

please post whatever is your personal view.

Seeking respond
sincerely
Ayush

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: in need of Advice

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: in need of Advice

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Don't worry about "areas" of computing right now. Focus on your core CS principals. If you're a proficient in algorithms, data structures, and more than one language, I doubt you'll ever have trouble finding a job as a developer.

What is hot right now could quite likely be thrown to the side in the next couple of years. You're better off not placing all of your eggs into a single basket (sorry for the cliche).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

thank you Brewer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

Ditto to what Brewer said. However, I would not dismiss the technologies of mobile computing. I would at least follow that area in the industry so you can see where it's at and where it is going. As for cloud computing, once you establish your core foundations you will have a better grip on what you want to do in the industry. I bring up Cloud computing in this because it has a strong relationship with how DB's work. You may venture into DB development instead of hardcoding and application development. If you do go into DB dev you may find out that you like working with NoSQL over MySQL DB's. Only time can tell, take it slow and don't get yourself behind. I have currently burried myself in technologies and other programming projects.. I will tell you that it is very hard to catch up. Learn one thing at a time.

Good luck in your adventures and keep your head up! #NeverSinkNeverFail

This post has been edited by JamesConley: 06 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't be interested in some technologies. Of course you should be! I'm just say that you should never gamble your career on one technology being around for a long time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

View PostBrewer, on 06 July 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

Don't worry about "areas" of computing right now. Focus on your core CS principals. If you're a proficient in algorithms, data structures, and more than one language, I doubt you'll ever have trouble finding a job as a developer.

What is hot right now could quite likely be thrown to the side in the next couple of years. You're better off not placing all of your eggs into a single basket (sorry for the cliche).

True yes the theory and an understanding of programming is good to have. However, when actually applying these in programs, it isn't a bad thing to look at what's current. Mobile is a buzzword right now. Android and iPhone are the two biggest platforms. I would encourage learning Java because Java EE and Android make Java the most used language in the industry currently. And Android isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The iOS platform requires Objective-C. That's good to know. The .NET platform is also widely used in the industry, as is C/C++.

You can check out which languages are widely used in the industry here.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Like others have said there is no way to know what the next up and coming language will be. My suggestion is pick one you like and learn the terminology and the reasoning behind why you do things certain ways. Once you understand that, all you need to learn when a new language comes out is syntax.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 06 July 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

The iOS platform requires Objective-C. That's good to know.

Good to know if you plan on doing Apple development. That's really the only platform it's used for. iOS and Mac OS X. You can get objective-c compilers for other systems, but there's really not much that uses it outside Apple. So, make that choice with your eyes open.

It's not a bad idea to learn though, because at least you're learning a lower-level language, and learning any language is helpful. Just know that it's probably not one you're going to be using at work, unless you're developing iPhone applications.

Java and .NET (C#) are the two major powerhouses in the business world. C++ is still king in the game industry, and also heavily used in the business world as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1