5 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Product for easy networked storage?

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Greetings.

I work at a print shop with two computers, a Mac and a PC, and am looking into solutions for networked storage. We have many different clients files stored in a folder structure on the mac. Currently, that is where all the design work is done. I'm wondering if someone knows of a great product that would house all of those files and allow the mac and PC to work from it at the same time as if it were a local drive (not necessarily the same file at the same time). It would be great if it came with some kind of versioning built in. I've looked at something like the "Synology DS211J" NAS, but it seems not to be designed for what I'm looking.

Anybody have a similar problem and a good solution?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

This post has been edited by Austinkir: 07 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Product for easy networked storage?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Product for easy networked storage?

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Why didn't that NAS work out? If you have a spare box or some equipment you can build a NAS out of spare parts. FreeNAS comes to mind.

http://gizmodo.com/5...or-a-macpc-home

http://www.maximumpc...build_a_nas_box
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

View PostAustinkir, on 07 July 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

I'm wondering if someone knows of a great product that would house all of those files and allow the mac and PC to work from it at the same time as if it were a local drive

Your biggest hangup with this is that you would need a file system format that both can read & write to. PC having the most restrictive, offering only Fat/Fat32 or NTFS. I would setup a Samba server (on a spare box like modi123_1 suggested) & share it as a network resource.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend but you have a few options. If you want to save, backup, access from both machines this can be done with any of the WD networked drives. It doesn't seem that you need anything too crazy or too difficult to setup, having two machines and all. I suggest going this route, once you get the device it can be running within 30min.

http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=270 -I would go with this because you can expand.
http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=290

In regards to the file system; lets say you get a WD networked drive. You are going to want to format it on the mac, however you need to format it to FAT 32 NOT EXTENDED! This is very important, if you do this you can run (read & write) both mac and Windows. I do it daily so I know it works. Again, format the external networked drive on the mac with the FAT 32 file system.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

p.s. You can setup that ShareSpace with RAID and constantly backup using Time machine while still accessing from Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 July 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

Why didn't that NAS work out? If you have a spare box or some equipment you can build a NAS out of spare parts. FreeNAS comes to mind.

Is NAS meant for this? Can I connect multiple computers to it as if it were a local drive? For some reason I thought of it as a really cool always on computer...not a business storage solution. But correct me if I'm wrong! I think I will build my own FreeNAS box for home though...looks really neat.

View Postno2pencil, on 07 July 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

Your biggest hangup with this is that you would need a file system format that both can read & write to. PC having the most restrictive, offering only Fat/Fat32 or NTFS. I would setup a Samba server (on a spare box like modi123_1 suggested) & share it as a network resource.

Thank you, I will look into that. However we'd rather spend some money on something that is pre-packaged, looks good, and ready to go. Although this would be a much more economical and upgradable way to go.

View PostJamesConley, on 07 July 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend but you have a few options. If you want to save, backup, access from both machines this can be done with any of the WD networked drives. It doesn't seem that you need anything too crazy or too difficult to setup, having two machines and all. I suggest going this route, once you get the device it can be running within 30min.

I really like the idea of this, seems like those are catering to my exact needs. Although there are quite a few reliability concerns in the reviews on amazon. Have you used it a while without any issues? It's more money, but the Drobo FS looks really nice - and I love how it manages a RAID type redundancy automatically and lets you use many different drive sizes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

View PostJamesConley, on 07 July 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

I really like the idea of this, seems like those are catering to my exact needs. Although there are quite a few reliability concerns in the reviews on amazon. Have you used it a while without any issues? It's more money, but the Drobo FS looks really nice - and I love how it manages a RAID type redundancy automatically and lets you use many different drive sizes.

One thing you should be aware of this. All drives can fail, the trick is finding the companies that are just selling a name and weed them out. The Drobo has taken off because of marketing techniques, everyone is drawn to them. They may be ok but I remember when the company first came out and their products were junk, their products haven't changed all that much in my opinion. When sticking with the drives and hardware like this I like to sticks with companies that have been in the game for a while. You have plenty of options going this route such as the Seagate storage systems http://www.seagate.c...ge/blackarmor/.

I apologize if any of this seems a little rushed, I am completely exhausted at the moment. One other thing to keep in mind is that you get to pick out the drives that come with some of these systems. They do not all contains HD's. I would find something like http://bit.ly/mSvRqG and slam some of these (http://bit.ly/oTkuGA) in it.

I can continue on if you still need help. Let me know what your leaning towards.

Hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1