• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 864 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Diablo 2 character builds

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Well, I have (once again) started playing Diablo 2 (LoD) and been playing around with some different builds. I was wondering what builds people have enjoyed and if anyone has come up with an odd build over the time.

My current build in progress is an Enchantress. Basically it is a Sorceress who specializes in Enchant (and Warmth for the additional 9% damage/ level). At the moment I also have a heavy number of points put into Shiver Armor (for the defense bonus and a little attacker takes damage action) and am working on Thunderstorm. Here's my current build and plan for the future (as I level further).
Current Skills:
Ice Bolt - 1
Frozen Armor - 1
Ice Blast - 1
Shiver Armor - 10
Chilling Armor - 1
Cold Mastery - 1
Charged Bolt - 1
Static Field - 1
Nova - 1
Lightning - 1
Chain Lightning - 1
Thunderstorm - 5
Lightning Mastery - 1
Fire Bolt - 1
Warmth - 10
Fireball - 1
Enchant - 11
Fire Mastery - 1

My Future Plan:
Ice Bolt - 1
Frozen Armor - 1
Ice Blast - 1
Shiver Armor - 20
Chilling Armor - 1 (unknown - may remove with a respec)
Cold Mastery - 1
Charged Bolt - 1
Static Field - 1
Telekinesis - 16 (maybe higher)
Nova - 1
Lightning - 1
Chain Lightning - 1
Teleport - 1
Thunderstorm - 5 (higher, not sure how much further)
Energy Shield - 1 (as high as I can get)
Lightning Mastery - 1
Fire Bolt - 1
Warmth - 20
Fireball - 1
Enchant - 20
Fire Mastery - 1

Play Style:
For the moment the play style is very much keep Thunderstorm, Shiver Armor and Enchant running on myself at all times. I typically use a bow (as powerful as I can get it, which is normally the 2 socket "Zephyr" runeword) and hit things from a distance while my act 5 merc is up in front taking the beatings (my life is under 200 so I can't take much damage before I am in a world of hurt - that is where Energy Shield will come in to save the day allowing me to put mana towards my damage buffer). The idea here is that I need high strength and dex to make sure that my Defense and Attack Rating are as high as possible (better armor, bows and swords are also a benefit there - NOTE - dex helps chance to block with a shield). The extra space a bow provides is great when dealing with lightning enchanted enemies (especially in Nightmare mode at the moment) and reduces the number of deaths you have to deal with. Shiver Armor allows me to (currently) get my Defense up over 1200 and Enchant racks my Attack Rating to over 1300 so I can hit fairly regularly. That's about it expect bosses, which it basically comes down to running in circles around trying to stay alive while dealing whatever damage I can muster until they finally die. The plan is to get a "Prevent Monster Heal" item and hope that works for bosses as well when I get to higher levels... We shall see.

So, what builds have you come up with over the past 10 years?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Diablo 2 character builds

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Diablo 2 character builds

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

I used to have a kick ass druid build written down some where from when I used to play, I'll see if I can find it.

But it was along the lines of this:

All Summoning skills, and stat for tanking(same way you'd build a barbarian)

Then just go around wrecking shit while you're minions wreck an equal amount of shit.

I remember I beat hell mode with this build, and it was pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend it for Ladder though, lot's of deaths.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

I will have two weeks of holiday at the end of July and I will DEFINITELY play Diablo 2 LoD during that!

I've played all characters and quite a lot of builds, but the most fun build was the Trapsin (Assasin specialized in Traps). Just hilarious when crowds of monsters storm towards you and suddenly there is lightning and exploding corpses everywhere and you just stand there and watch :bananaman:
When a lot of my friends stopped playing D2, I played a Necro-Summoner. Not as fun as the Trapsin, but still one of my favorites. Just great to have around two billions of minions that will gladly end their existence for you :devil:

PS: Just remembered that I still have a picture of when my favorite trapsin turned 90:
Posted Image
.. I miss you Cadera!

This post has been edited by n8schatten: 08 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

I tried.. I really did. But i can't get to terms with the graphics...

I used to have Paladin... Can't remember the spec though... Resistance to All.. It helps..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

If you want to be an enchantress that can handle most of the game on her own power you will have to make changes to your planned build.

Max: Enchant, Fire Mastery, Warmth, Frozen Orb
One-point-wonders: Cold Mastery, Teleport, Static Field

Items: Get a bow that shoots exploding arrows. Many of the unique bows or crossbows do that. The enchant damage gets carried over to the explosion so you're basically shooting fireballs with enchant's damage.

The idea behind frozen orb is that you need something to kill fire immunes and this is the only spell that can reasonably do that with only so few points to spare. Forget about energy shield and thunderstorm neither is needed and thunderstorm is completely useless, even if you max it and lightning mastery it barely does anything. Energy shield isn't needed either, and that's from someone who plays HC exclusively.

If you need more ideas for builds, go to the forums at diabloii.net and search for threads by Nightfish. There's a listing of my 52-ish Guardians around there somewhere that should give you a good idea of what build works how well. Also there's a few guides I wrote; some for beginner friendly builds and some for not so beginner friendly builds ;).

This post has been edited by Nightfish: 08 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:25 AM

Necromancer is usually my class of choice, but my Druid, whom I named Todd, was pretty bad ass. It was like "suddenly ravens, thousands of them". Fucking awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

I'm a little boring when it comes to those games - I'm always the basher. In Diablo 2 I would start off with sword and shield until I was buff enough to dual wield, then I'd put max points into leap attack and whirlwind. With high levels of leap or leap attack I could jump over or across just about anything and the whirlwind attack is pretty much unstoppable.
When I first got married, my wife had never played a computer game and we bought 2 Diablo 2 battlechests and co-oped the whole game, that was a good time and a pretty nice multiplayer feature that more games of that genre should have, that is, the ability to co-op the game and have achievements and completed quests stick.
But like Motcom, I haven't played it in years, I'd rather play dungeon siege 1 or 2, what I've heard about 3 so far has been disappointing.

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 08 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

View Posthookiethe1, on 08 July 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'm a little boring when it comes to those games - I'm always the basher. In Diablo 2 I would start off with sword and shield until I was buff enough to dual wield, then I'd put max points into leap attack and whirlwind. With high levels of leap or leap attack I could jump over or across just about anything and the whirlwind attack is pretty much unstoppable.

At this very moment I'm sad they took the Iron Maiden skill from the knights in the Chaos Sanctuary ;)

Btw: No Hammerdin yet? Maybe the world is a better place than I thought...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Iron Maiden? I remember that skill. They still have it don't they?

Also, for some reason, I prefer more of the support characters in rpgs. Necromancers, sorcerers, druids, bards, rangers, thieves, etc. though my 2 faves of all time are necromancers and rangers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

No, sadly they don't. Blizzard removed that skill from those knights with one of the latest patches.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Gay.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

We start threads about character builds... and then wonder why we can't get dates...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

*snicker* Gay, yeah, like playing the "rear support" all the time.

Rear and Pleasent Danger!

Rear. REAR! Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!
*/snicker*

I love this - it's like bringing out my old d&d character sheets! So much love.

I tend to play a wizard/thief combo. It pisses me off that I can't open a chest or door and I look dashing with two swords.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

I don't wonder why I don't get dates, I know exactly why: I have a level 80 paladin.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

I've never understood this: is Diablo an MMORPG or what? :eh:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)