11 Replies - 4445 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Developing Portfolio

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

I just graduated from college and started working in the IT field. The company I work for in quite small and encourages it's employees to continue learning and broadening their skills. I've always had an interest in web development and I believe this could be a skill that helps the company as well as my career. In order to do this I feel like I need a project or portfolio to show some progress and gain more experience but I have no idea what to build...

So my question is "What suggestions can you give as far as websites to build?"

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Developing Portfolio

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Web Developing Portfolio

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Well coverton,

I am also new in this field but have an experience of web development of around 6+ months.You can start learning web technologies from W3SCHOOLS.
I am sure that it will help you to improve your knowledge at basic level.First start with small things like HTML,Javascript, css etc.

After you got some idea about what html, javascript, css etc. you can try some hands to make static websites.Provide few scripting inthose websites like simple validation in query form.

After making some websites and having good knowledge you will find it very interesting.You can also learn FLASH, multimedia to make your web pages more interactive.

Once you feel that now you have good idea in static part of web, you can move to Server Side scripting languages like ASP or PHP to make dyanamic pages.

If you dont get projects you can make just the demo websites.In start of my carrer i dont have any projects so on that time i just google few designs and convert them.

This forum is very good for basic knowledge of any web technology.it's members are very experienced one and having good command.you can post your queries right here and I am sure you will got the solutions too in quick time.

Thanks

Arvind
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Oh I guess I should have given a bit more background...

I actually have built some demo sites and used a few web technologies such as HTML, CSS, XML, XSS, Javascript, Java and PHP. I've also had a little experience with using Java servlet technology to interact with web pages and back end databases. I wouldn't say I'm experienced since most of this has been used for school projects and I'm still trying to learn more and more about them.

If you were trying to build a website for display though, what kind of website would you build I guess is a better question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

Build a mock up design for the companies intranet or there actual website.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

What qualifications did you leave college with? What kind of work do you do in the IT field? Do you have any programming experience? If you do then you shouldn't have too many problems getting into web development. If you don't have experience, then you have a lot to learn.

If you want to really get into web development and learn all the ins and outs, then arvindthakur is right, just start from the ground up and learn the basics. Start out making some simple layouts with HTML and CSS. When you feel comfortable, move onto javascript to make your websites some dynamic edge.

These three languages are all design based, they deal mainly with controlling what is displayed on the page.

When you get experienced with these, you should move onto a server side language. PHP and ASP.net are server side languages that communicate with databases, such as MySql. This is the only way you can add features such as users, comments and many other features. Server side languages have no effect on how a page is displayed, so it's not a case of learning one or the other.

EDIT: I was writing this while you posted :) so ignore all above.

I guess it depends on what you want to build. Blog, shopping site, social site, portfolio all have differen't looks. Research in your area, find what people are doing , then do the complete opposite. Unique designs are great designs :P

This post has been edited by Slice: 08 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

View PostD.Mulroy, on 08 July 2011 - 08:41 AM, said:

Build a mock up design for the companies intranet or there actual website.

Hmmm that could actually be very useful. Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

No problem man. If you could 1up one of the companies current features or even add your own that would be beneficial it would definitely make you look good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

View PostSlice, on 08 July 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

What qualifications did you leave college with? What kind of work do you do in the IT field? Do you have any programming experience? If you do then you shouldn't have too many problems getting into web development. If you don't have experience, then you have a lot to learn.

If you want to really get into web development and learn all the ins and outs, then arvindthakur is right, just start from the ground up and learn the basics. Start out making some simple layouts with HTML and CSS. When you feel comfortable, move onto javascript to make your websites some dynamic edge.

These three languages are all design based, they deal mainly with controlling what is displayed on the page.

When you get experienced with these, you should move onto a server side language. PHP and ASP.net are server side languages that communicate with databases, such as MySql. This is the only way you can add features such as users, comments and many other features. Server side languages have no effect on how a page is displayed, so it's not a case of learning one or the other.

EDIT: I was writing this while you posted :) so ignore all above.

I guess it depends on what you want to build. Blog, shopping site, social site, portfolio all have differen't looks. Research in your area, find what people are doing , then do the complete opposite. Unique designs are great designs :P

I did notice you had a few questions that I didn't answer on there and they might help anyone else that has more suggestions.
Right now I work doing technical support with a splash of network administration. It's kind of a "Jack of all trades" job. I have to do things from hardware fixes to network fixes.
Most of the experience I gained in school was application based (application programming, web programming, database building and some network programming) even though I have a System and Security concentration on my major.
I've only done field work for the industry for almost 2 months now so I'm a noob in that sense.

View PostD.Mulroy, on 08 July 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

No problem man. If you could 1up one of the companies current features or even add your own that would be beneficial it would definitely make you look good.

Actually now that I think about it, I could probably redesign their site. The site is quite simplistic. I think it was just a "we need to get our name out there type of thing" and no one ever bothered to give it another thought after that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

Careful about doing anything that makes someone else in the company look bad. Unless specifically asked DO NOT redesign company sites or anything else for that matter unless you're the project head. That's a good way to get fired or at the very least make enemies.

As far as web is concerned, make a habit out of reading design and dev blogs, the experience and insight you gain is invaluable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostLemur, on 08 July 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

Careful about doing anything that makes someone else in the company look bad. Unless specifically asked DO NOT redesign company sites or anything else for that matter unless you're the project head. That's a good way to get fired or at the very least make enemies.

As far as web is concerned, make a habit out of reading design and dev blogs, the experience and insight you gain is invaluable.

My manager actually gave me the same idea so I'm not too worried about that. The company isn't large enough to assign project heads or specific resources to jobs like that unless it's for a specific client. I've already been told that you can voice an opinion or give an idea...it just might not be accepted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

I just know I've seen people do the same thing and walk out of the office with a pink slip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostLemur, on 08 July 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

I just know I've seen people do the same thing and walk out of the office with a pink slip.

I know what you mean. I'll keep it in mind so I don't step on anyone's toes. Thanks for the concern.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1