#16 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: curious

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

View PostJamesConley, on 08 July 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm saying you can close it now.

You should know we don't close topics upon request, we only close topics when they are in violation of the rules.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for your time! You guys win.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Many topics get removed each day and end up here: http://www.dreaminco...imme-teh-codez/

Duplicate topics should be merged or removed entirely, but depending on who takes care of it, they may not have permission to remove a topic entirely, only lock it.

Topics with poorly worded questions, gimme teh codez, little or no information, are also removed and a reply is left encouraging a new topic be opened that provides enough information for folks to help.

If there are topics being locked instead of removed, I'd be happy to identify who's locking them and either get them the permissions they need, or reiterate our procedures for dealing with certain topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#19 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostJamesConley, on 08 July 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

Actually no, I have never had posts removed. I'm sure I will now though.

Seriously, if you have some sort of an issue, shoot me a pm or call me. Why the hell are we suddenly put on the defense about our moderation level?

Don't even make yourself out to be some sort of a victim here. If you truly think you are going to be targeted or treated any differently as a member of the forum because you opened a topic, then you have some serious disconnect with Dream In Code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

View PostJamesConley, on 08 July 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

Thanks for your time! You guys win.

Free internets?

Seriously, we're not trying to "win" anything. We're trying to get to the source of the problem you have mentioned that we may remedy the situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

If there are perceived issues of over moderation, we want to address them. Feel free to shoot myself or another team member a PM if you want to discuss some of these issues in private. From personal experience, member issues aren't the fun part of our jobs. Going through two years worth of closed topics can't be fun. There is far more to DIC than people breaking rules. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

Guys... Let it go.

JamesConley said there were all these examples of how so many threads were being moved and closed. Yet when asked for examples (ie. Links to them) he just says "Never mind, close this one too" as if trying to get you to create an example for him. Having just read all posts it reads all wobley and disjointed like part of the conversation is missing.

I think it's just an example of how we 'think' we see something a lot when in reality we don't. There isn't really a Starbucks on every street corner. It just seems like it some times. There really aren't a dozen cops at the donut shop all the time. It just sticks in our mind when we do see a squad car in the parking lot.

BenignDesign really said it best

I'm having trouble understanding why a thread was created to begin with... if you weren't planning on contributing to a viable discussion of the issue.

[...]

You then started a new thread asking where the first thread went. Are you missing the delicious irony of it all?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

How about this http://www.dreaminco...ade-clone-code/ ?

Sure, he asked if someone wanted to share code. Couldn't a mod or admin just tell him that he needs to show what he has or even the explanation that was given is fine but why was it shut down right away? That's all I'm asking. Maybe that guy(or girl)would have posted some code or maybe he is looking for something to go off of. I see a lot of "give me teh codez" and those are bullshit, but sometimes I see posts that are jumped on immediately. It's nothing personal to any of you I just wanted some answers and clarification. Trust me I would have NEVER posted had I known it was going to be this big of a deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

The reason we implemented the gimme th codez system is b.c we were getting a lot if threads where people were spouting the rules and telling people to google it without providing any real help. We were penalized by google for this with their panda update. Closed threads are not indexed in google, and they are moved to a trash can forum so they won't bother everyone else and the op can see why we closed them. The op's are also sent email notifications when this happens. I do consider that thread as a gimme. There was no willingness to show effort on the part of the op. No reason for it to stay open when the op can always repost with a better formed question. Also, DIC has recovered quite nicely in google rankings and site activity is starting to really increase with quality discussions. We are one of the few forums this is happening for.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 July 2011 - 07:16 PM, said:

The reason we implemented the gimme th codez system is b.c we were getting a lot if threads where people were spouting the rules and telling people to google it without providing any real help. We were penalized by google for this with their panda update. Closed threads are not indexed in google, and they are moved to a trash can forum so they won't bother everyone else and the op can see why we closed them. The op's are also sent email notifications when this happens. I do consider that thread as a gimme. There was no willingness to show effort on the part of the op. No reason for it to stay open when the op can always repost with a better formed question. Also, DIC has recovered quite nicely in google rankings and site activity is starting to really increase with quality discussions. We are one of the few forums this is happening for.

Thanks, that's all I was really looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

View PostJamesConley, on 08 July 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

Miss Posting into the Caffeine Louge and you're fair game. (Especially if it code based)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

So in post #18 the site owner points out that there are a lot of lazy people out there trying to get forums to do their work/homework for them and those posts get dumped into "gimme teh codez". Between all the different areas I'd bet there are thousands here every week.
You then point out another 'gimme teh codez' thread just like Skyhawk just mentioned. I'm not sure where you're going with that.

This is a code development site. We help each other WRITE code and DEVELOP software. We help new coders develop their skills. The post you linked was not asking for help... was not trying to develop a program... he just wanted someone to give him the code for the game. We don't do that. And we don't coddle those who blatantly ignore the numerous places that say so.

Attached Image

James said:

Couldn't a mod or admin just tell him that he needs to show what he has

Gimme teh codez said:

Your question has been removed because it violates our #1 rule: We will not do your work for you! You must show some effort before receiving help.

James said:

but why was it shut down right away?

Because those of us who spend a lot of time writing tutorials, answering thousands of questions EACH, have taken man-YEARS of time to learn the craft are really sick and tired of lazy wankers and out of country low-budget outsourcers who try to get other people to do their work for them. And lots of experience here has shown that that kind of newbie isn't interested in LEARNING. It won't matter how nice and polite and helpful someone tries to be about helping them expand their education, it isn't what they are trying to do.

James said:

Trust me I would have NEVER posted had I known it was going to be this big of a deal.

So you were thinking you were going to post and it would be ignored? Why would you post it at all then? You posted a complaint/issue/question and you got lots of good response. I wish my phone company gave the level of customer support that your post got. Don't you WANT to be part of a forum/community that takes immediate action when one of its members has an issue?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

James said:

Trust me I would have NEVER posted had I known it was going to be this big of a deal.

So you were thinking you were going to post and it would be ignored? Why would you post it at all then? You posted a complaint/issue/question and you got lots of good response. I wish my phone company gave the level of customer support that your post got. Don't you WANT to be part of a forum/community that takes immediate action when one of its members has an issue?

I wouldn't have posted if I knew I was gonna be attacked, that sure wasn't my intention.

Why would you post it at all then?

I guess I made a mistake. I'll be sure that it doesn't happen again

I do however appreciate the useful responses that actually answered my question. Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by JamesConley: 08 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

I have yet to see anyone attack you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Sorry, I made another mistake. I should edit that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +