8 Replies - 1440 Views - Last Post: 11 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The Right Technologies For A High Traffic Site

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I need to develop a site that is at least capable of handling lots of traffic and still be fast. I know that Facebook is using PHP and I would prefer to use that also but I am reading that ASP.NET is quite a lot faster. What kind of differences am I going to see in speed(or in any area I guess) by going with one over the other?

I am more comfortable with PHP/MySQL, it's free and it's easier to get a question answered specific to that language combination.

If I use ASP.NET I will probably avoid server controls as I prefer to write my code from scratch so it is easier to adapt to fit my exact needs. Will this take away some advantage in speed that ASP.NET has over PHP?

As a sidenote I have been reading up on memcached and I think this technology is necessary to make a fast high traffic site. Are there any other technologies out there that I may not have heard of that I should look into?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Right Technologies For A High Traffic Site

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Right Technologies For A High Traffic Site

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

It sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

http://www.aspvsphp.com/
http://www.comentum....comparison.html

There's also database concerns..

http://www.mongodb.org/
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Why do you say I'm trying to reinvent the wheel? Because I said social networking? Well all I can say is I kept my description very vague so it'd be hard to make an argument that I'm reinventing anyone's wheel.

Your first links appears to be ASP and not ASP.NET, it also seems biased in favor of PHP. Your second link has some good information and I'll be digging into that more later.

NoSQL is something I've little more than heard about but I am glad you brought it up. I will be using many DBMS's and caching systems to save and retrieve data and I will look into MongoDB, do you know of any large scale sites using MongoDB successfully already?

Thanks for the links, very helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

He said you're re-inventing the wheel because this question has been asked eight billion times already. Don't be so edgy - he's just being helpful.

And, the first link says, and I quote "In conclusion, both PHP and ASP have its own advantages and disadvantages. It basically depends on which part of developing a website you are most concerned with. Are you worried about the cost of creating your website? Do you want to use a programming language that you are more familiar with? Do you want a more stable and faster website? Choosing between ASP and PHP basically depends on your own personal preference." They were unbiased. Sure, at times PHP shined more, such as having a larger database base and faster execution times, but that doesn't make it biased towards PHP.

As for MongoDB, I don't know of any. However, it's not like many upscale sites would give information about their databases without wanting to be hacked.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

View PostBirdhouse2012, on 08 July 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

... but I am reading that ASP.NET is quite a lot faster.

Where did you read that? Most people are pretty biased in one way or the other. It's rare to find an accurate comparison, even by reputable sources. (I'm very biased towards PHP, by the way :))

On the topic of Facebook's use of PHP, they created a PHP "compiler", which transforms PHP into C++, which it then compiles and run as executables. - In a pure CPU performance comparison with .NET, .NET being semi-compiled and run in a VM it will likely win against PHP's typical interpreter, but with HipHop (Facebook's transformer/compiler) the fully compiled version of the same PHP will more than likely take the lead.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

@maniacalsounds
I can see how I came off looking a little edgy but I assure you I was just curious as to what he meant. It's very hard to come across the right way with typed text.

@Atli
That is some very useful information, I will look into that further.

Thanks everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostAtli, on 08 July 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

View PostBirdhouse2012, on 08 July 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

... but I am reading that ASP.NET is quite a lot faster.

Where did you read that? Most people are pretty biased in one way or the other. It's rare to find an accurate comparison, even by reputable sources. (I'm very biased towards PHP, by the way :))

On the topic of Facebook's use of PHP, they created a PHP "compiler", which transforms PHP into C++, which it then compiles and run as executables. - In a pure CPU performance comparison with .NET, .NET being semi-compiled and run in a VM it will likely win against PHP's typical interpreter, but with HipHop (Facebook's transformer/compiler) the fully compiled version of the same PHP will more than likely take the lead.

Wow..that was really informative..repped!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Why do you say I'm trying to reinvent the wheel?

... because you were going to write your own controls. Personal observation tends to lean towards rolling your own controls, when you have an array of ajax controls on hand, cause more problems up front. It's all good and dandy planning for speed but get the site as a whole functioning before you go off rewriting textboxes.

NoSQL is something I've little more than heard about but I am glad you brought it up. I will be using many DBMS's and caching systems to save and retrieve data and I will look into MongoDB,

Many database management systems?

do you know of any large scale sites using MongoDB successfully already?

A few highlights off their site:
Grooveshark, Chicago Tribune, college humor, IGN, source forge, lexis nexis, four squre, craiglist..

http://www.mongodb.o...ion+Deployments
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 July 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Why do you say I'm trying to reinvent the wheel?

... because you were going to write your own controls. Personal observation tends to lean towards rolling your own controls, when you have an array of ajax controls on hand, cause more problems up front. It's all good and dandy planning for speed but get the site as a whole functioning before you go off rewriting textboxes.

I guess I might have said that wrong. I don't see the advantages in many cases of using server controls. I admit I need to read up on them before making my decisions but right now I'd rather create my own dynamic table than use a gridview and use an html text input with some javascript rather than a textbox.

NoSQL is something I've little more than heard about but I am glad you brought it up. I will be using many DBMS's and caching systems to save and retrieve data and I will look into MongoDB,

Many database management systems?

The DBMS would depend on what type of data I am storing. User info/documents/photos would all use a different DBMS. http://stackoverflow...es-facebook-use

do you know of any large scale sites using MongoDB successfully already?

A few highlights off their site:
Grooveshark, Chicago Tribune, college humor, IGN, source forge, lexis nexis, four squre, craiglist..

http://www.mongodb.o...ion+Deployments

Good list, thanks for the information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1