7 Replies - 1870 Views - Last Post: 19 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Graphic Design Books

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

Well, I have just begun with Photoshop or say graphics in the broader sense. Surfing through online tutorials isnt much of a help when you want to be learn the basics and be able to create designs on your own. Before I go out and buy a book, I did love hear to your suggestions for books on Graphic Design (Photosop). Though am not a newbie and know the little basics quite well, I am not kind of a pro. I have CS2, so please suggest the best quality of book. :pirate:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphic Design Books

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphic Design Books

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

View Postlance, on 13 Feb, 2007 - 04:05 AM, said:

Well, I have just begun with Photoshop or say graphics in the broader sense. Surfing through online tutorials isnt much of a help when you want to be learn the basics and be able to create designs on your own. Before I go out and buy a book, I did love hear to your suggestions for books on Graphic Design (Photosop). Though am not a newbie and know the little basics quite well, I am not kind of a pro. I have CS2, so please suggest the best quality of book. :pirate:

Ok, first off....

"Graphic Design (Photosop)"

You need to look into other programs as well, lol If you become one of those photoshop only designers who's wondering why their computer freezes when they try and design a 300dpi 36x40 poster in photochop, I'll slap you. :P

At first, assuming this is your start into the industry, see if you can grab a copy of Adobe Illustrator as well, for the Vector graphics end.

As for books...

-Photoshop down and dirty tricks - a fun book to learn some eye candy, but it's good practice with the tools

-Photoshop CS2 Visual Encyclopedia

-Photoshop Masters, or something like that... was another one I thought of.

All in all, look for books with CD'S You will get example files and be able to run through tutorials. Everyone likes just messing around and self teaching, but having a tutorial CD is the best way to stay motivated and keep learning.

If you have any trouble or questions, feel free to post back here, we'll be glad to help.

"the little basics quite well"

btw: Wait until you start the spiral down the rabbit hole. I've been working with photoshop since 4.0 I've been working professionally with it for about 4 years now. And I recognize I don't know shit.

When you see some of these true masters at seminars and the like, it's so inspiring. There's no end to how good you can get with this program, or how many awesome tools you will discover.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

"You need to look into other programs as well"

Ofcourse I do, but being a new entrant in the business I need to focus on one software and first learn how to produce great art through it, rather than trying my hands at different tools at the same time, which would only confuse me.

"I'll slap you"

:crazy:

As for books...

I have reviewed them and found The first two appropriate for me. Though I have to go with a single book currently, I think the visual encyclopedia is a good choice.

"Wait until you start the spiral down the rabbit hole"

What I meant was that I am not totally unknown to its effects and all, just used the online tutorials and have been playing around with it. Ofcourse it needs time and patience to excel in it. But its not about the time-span you spend while doing a thing rather how you spend that time learning it effectively.

Thanks for your suggestions, it will definitely help me in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

Graphic design can be a bit of a pig. There are different programs for different purposes. If you're doing web graphics, Photoshop is powerful tool to use. the best resource I've found is eyesondesign.net She has really simple to follow tutorials that will give you solid understanding of creating all kinds of web graphics from scratch.

If you're doing banners, Adobe Illustrator is more suited toward that end. Most of the graphic types are vector, and it's tools are also pretty amazing. Tutorials for Illustrator can be a bit harder to come by, so I would recommend that you use the ones that come with the proggy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:39 AM

Ya, eyesondesign, is a pretty good site, the tutorials are really simple. Anywayz thanks for your suggestions, just going to buy either one of the books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

View Postlance, on 15 Feb, 2007 - 12:39 AM, said:

Ya, eyesondesign, is a pretty good site, the tutorials are really simple. Anywayz thanks for your suggestions, just going to buy either one of the books.

Also remember Lance...

Graphic Design is 10% using the programs, and 90% the eye.

Before you even buy books on photo chop, grab subscriptions to How and Print magazines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

maybe try some tutorials, just search it on google
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

View Postlance, on 13 Feb, 2007 - 04:05 AM, said:

I really believe that books are good foundation in web design. They are reliable and complete references than the fast and incomplete discussions online. But, it would be of help if you join forums participated by experts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1