• « First

48 Replies - 13201 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Response to "Are You A Copy & Paste Programmer?"

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

View Postroyce, on 13 July 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

I tried to get others to program for me but what I found was a grossly over-priced marketplace that demanded an average of $50-$150 per hour of worktime. Sorry, but I'm not paying $500 for 5-6 hours of work unless you are removing one of my organs or keeping me out of jail. At least, not while you're willing to give it to me for free!

The rates you are talking about are well within the range of standard software consulting rates. If you think they are too high then I recommend doing it yourself. Or you could outsource to some copy/paste consulting firm out of Hyderabad, but be prepared to receive code of questionable quality. Quality work has a price. The price is whatever the market will bear. People who think it's too expensive obviously have no concept of what goes into it and are the ones usually outsourcing to some low-grade firm in Timbuktu. They are also the ones who usually end up hiring me or one of my colleagues to fix the disaster of a codebase they received. And they gladly pay market rates.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

There is a huge difference between code that works & code that catches errors & handles them correctly.

One of these items is $50. The other one is $500. Which one does your product rely on?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#48 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostDuckington, on 12 December 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostCTphpnwb, on 14 July 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

View Postroyce, on 13 July 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm a cut & paste programmer. I consider myself a smart guy who needs an occasional bit of code to make my own projects better.

That demonstrates the problem with copy/paster programmers. Royce has made a contradictory statement showing (unsurprisingly) that a copy/paster has no understanding of the issue. You can't be a copy/paste programmer who is a "smart guy who needs an occasional bit of code" because the latter is the definition of some one who is not a copy paste programmer.

I'd disagree with that. People don't have time to write things from scratch all the time, or reinvent a perfectly round wheel. If there is something they can quickly copy and paste into their code, without wasting time doing it themselves, there's nothing wrong with it. As long as you understand the basics of what it's doing, so you can debug it if it goes wrong.

But that is not copy paste programming! I've done it too, and I've never said there was anything wrong with it. Here's a C++ snippet I copied from somewhere unknown at this point, some time ago:
string IntToStr( int n )
{
	std::ostringstream result;
	result << n;
	return result.str();
}

It's simple and fairly obvious what it does, and I know how to use it. What would make me a copy/paste programmer is if I were to paste it into my code and expect it to do something magical, like maybe convert an integer into a string despite the fact that I hadn't called it.

I would never expect help getting that snippet to work since the act of copying it implies that I already know how it works. If I don't then I have no business copying it.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 13 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 13 July 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you are a student without much experience in the workplace. Even in the classroom, do you enjoy getting stuck on advanced/large/complex projects with a group that can't pull their own weight and you end up doing everything? What about fixing someone else's mistake b/c the client/company/whoever was too stupid to hire the person (read- you) to do it right the first time using fewer resources and having a better product? There is a lot more to it that you are not considering.

It actually sounds like he is older. Did you notice his reference to "it's your generation who decided everything should be free". I'm not entirely certain, but I have dealt with alot of people like this in IT who are typically over-the-hill-retail-isn't-quite-working-out-and-Im-less-than-a-decade-from-retirement-with-no-skillset-to-speak-of types.

I could be wrong though, but if this is a student, he'd better find another field to work in.

@OP

You're an [insert derogatory statement here]. Do you really think it's a bright Idea to get on a programmer board and state how stupid and over priced developers (I prefer this term to programmer for budget reasons) are?

While the idea of open source software (your proverbial "free code" check into RMS and the statements on "Free as in Freedom, not beer") is to help developers and engineers write better code and ultimately create better products. Not to support keyboard monkeys such as yourself and keep you employed when you should be applying at the local McDonalds (no insult to the fine people at Micky Dees, just hoping you could help a charity case).

AS was stated earlier, its ok to re-use code and modify it as you see fit (unless the original developer has forbidden this in the license agreement). However, if you have no idea what you're doing or how progrmaming works, I say good luck to you and your relatively short career in this field.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First