9 Replies - 765 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Graduate school immediately after graduating?

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:22 AM

I'm an incoming Sophomore CS/Math major. Would it be smart for me to immediately go pursue my Masters degree once I graduate?
Or if I get a job offer before then, should I take it, or should I go for my masters and be more marketable.

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graduate school immediately after graduating?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Graduate school immediately after graduating?

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

I would suggest you continue your masters then pursue for your jobs.Once you complete your masters you will definitely get better job offers than what you would get after just doing your graduation.Unless you are very strongly determined to masters laziness slowly creeps in, after you take a job after graduation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:51 AM

From what I've heard it's better to go directly to grad school because taking time off will make you forget how time consuming school is.

I've also heard some people say that they think you should take a year off and work because you'll appreciate what you learn more and it will all make more sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

I'm graduating this year and I'm going straight onto master's. As someone who took a year off school once that turned into 6, I say keep the momentum while you have it. I extended my break because I had a good, well paid job that I enjoyed, but then I moved to a different country and realized I had no marketable qualifications, so I went back to school. It will be even harder to motivate yourself to go back for a master's if you land a decent job with a BS.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

I would personally suggest going straight for your master's. With the current economy, a lot of students coming right out of college with a bachelor's are not finding work. May as well ride it out for another couple years and open more doors for yourself than you would have if you only had a bachelor's. I graduate in a couple months and have already applied for the master's program at another university. The way I see it, what's another couple years?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

I am in your shoes as well. Just completed my first year and I am majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Business. I have a lot of family in business companies like Bank of America and Merril Lynch. They have suggested trying to get a job first and their reason being college is very expensive. Why not have the company pay for it? I am hoping to hopefully get my Masters in business but we will see, it depends on how much I enjoy Comp Sci.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

If your school has a five year masters program, I'd go for that. Since the process is expedited that way, it will save you money long term on getting the degree. If you can get a job in the meantime, you could always go to school part time during the year you are working on your masters degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

This also depends on the type of graduate school where you think you will end your education. Here are some scenarios:

If you see yourself eventually going for a PhD (free masters!): you may be able to get your master's along the way, take a leave of absence to get some job experience, and then return to complete your thesis if you choose to do so. This is especially convenient if you are doing well in school now: the top programs actually pay for their own students, saving you a lot of money, and you are often able to defer admission for a year or two to get some related job experience.

If you are eventually going for a professional school (JD, MBA, MD): For an MBA or a DBA (degrees in business), you will most likely need some job experience beforehand--at least in the form of substantial internships. JDs are a bit less concerned with that, but it really wouldn't hurt, given that first-year JD internships are extremely competitive. Finally, if your plan is medical school, you'd be fine just going straight into some more school.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

If you have a compelling job offer after graduating definitely take it. Job experience is very important. In my experience companies do not always like to hire someone with lots of education and no job experience. On the contrary though if you can not find a job after graduating one might as well go back to school.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for all the great replies everyone!
From the looks of it, I should probably go straight into grad school. I'll have had 3 summer internships and a semester internship by the time I graduate, so that would give me some job experience.

I feel that I should probably get my master's in order to get a little bit of an edge. While I don't currently have plans to pursue a PhD, if I get offered to pursue one, then I would definitely take it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1