• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 1132 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2011 - 01:07 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Buying a new TV

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

So... I just got a job and I am looking to buy a new TV. I'd like a Samsung LED TV ~55" and want to spend around $1500 (give or take). Anyone recently purchased a decent TV or know a good place to get a TV? My roomate and I had a 55" Samsung LED 3D TV and I'd rather not buy a TV w/ 3D if possible as I just don't care for it. I've also heard the Panasonic Plasma TVs are decent but they seem a bit pricey. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Buying a new TV

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Buying a new TV

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Don't get a 3D TV, my dad bought one after he got a raise and we returned it the same day we got it, the 3D isn't that good, so you'd be better off with a regular HDTV.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Toshiba recently announced/demonstrated their new 3D LCD tech that require NO GLASSES.

Which means it will make its way through the typical distribution order of Laptops, then monitors, then TV's.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything high-end right now. Most screens last for many years. I would hate to obsolete something that actually works fine.

I think it was Sony or LG that just rolled out 3D that doesn't require EXPENSIVE electronic glasses. Rather it uses the same polarized plastic lenses you get at a Real(D)3D movie. Saves you hundreds in equipping the entire family. So at least that tech is available today.

If you really want 3D just hold off a year or so and you won't have to be one of the silly people wearing classes to see it.

Personally I've had my 42" LG LCD for about 5 years now and it is every bit as nice as the day I bought it in Australia. Having an external power supply that can take 120-240 volt gave me the ability to keep it rather than resell it for .25 on the dollar when I came back to the USA.

I would recommend you make sure you get something that has good DVI and HDMI inputs so you can run it off your computer or other device later in life. I use a laptop to be my total entertainment system. It is the channel changer, surround sound, Blueray (burner even), AVI, MP4... everything through Windows Media Center and 1 remote. Keeps the wife happy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

looks like the closest thing to your specs: http://www.amazon.co...0872177&sr=8-15

if i was you, i'd downgrade a couple inches or just go with LCD instead of LED (one of the two) and save the cash.

this is a damn good tv, for less than half the price http://www.amazon.co...10872330&sr=1-1
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the 6500 or 7000 series Samsung (even though they ARE 3D I just won't use it). We had a few decent 3D movies but the glasses just annoyed me. The most bang for your buck IMO is a projector but my new place has a lot of natural light that ruins that. The only difference between LCD and LED is the brightness as far as picture quality goes (that I can tell at least).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_rdp_product

I got that a couple of days ago. Guess I don't make as much money as you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Can't go wrong with Samsung flatscreens. They have fantastic picture and are very cheap. I got one for 500$ here in Bolivia so I imagine it's even cheaper stateside.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 16 July 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

Personally I've had my 42" LG LCD for about 5 years now and it is every bit as nice as the day I bought it in Australia. Having an external power supply that can take 120-240 volt gave me the ability to keep it rather than resell it for .25 on the dollar when I came back to the USA.I would recommend you make sure you get something that has good DVI and HDMI inputs so you can run it off your computer or other device later in life. I use a laptop to be my total entertainment system. It is the channel changer, surround sound, Blueray (burner even), AVI, MP4... everything through Windows Media Center and 1 remote. Keeps the wife happy.

My dad has been thinking about getting a new flat screen TV (at the moment we're still using one of those 20 year old bulky cant lift it up TVs lol) and a really good slimline desktop to use in the living room. That way he can play any format of video as well as play any DVD using a Blueray player.

View PostSergio Tapia, on 17 July 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

Can't go wrong with Samsung flatscreens. They have fantastic picture and are very cheap. I got one for 500$ here in Bolivia so I imagine it's even cheaper stateside.

I love my Philips LCD HDTV flat screen TV. I've had 0 problems with it. Of course now I can get one almost twice the size for the same price as what I paid for it 2 years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

The more I've been looking, the more I am leaning towards the Panasonic 55st30. Anyone have one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...a#ht_500wt_1156
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

I bought a new TV back in February. Had my eye on a nice 55" LCD TV and was talked into getting a cheaper, better plasma kit by the salesman at the store I visited. I ended up with a 58" Samsung plasma TV that has a better picture, zero refresh artifacts and was around $300 cheaper than a comparably sized LCD I was looking at. What's more, when I went to actually buy the TV a week later, I had found an ad on the internet from some store in NJ that was selling the same TV for about $200 less again and with no tax...and the guy at the store came down within $20 of the internet price for me. I ended up paying just over $1300 for the TV.

Plasma TVs have a better picture and practically no refresh artifacts because their refresh rate is much higher than an LCD or LED. You notice this when watching things like sports where there is quick movement on the screen.

Plasmas do have two, related downsides when compared to LCD/LED kits: they use more electricity and because of that, they'll generate more heat. Now, it's not as though you have a blazing fireplace where your TV would be but it is a valid difference. In my case, it made zero impact because due to the size of the TV, you don't sit all that close to it...that and we have air conditioning. They run hotter because they do draw more juice to power the screen than a comparably sized LCD/LED. That said, if you're replacing an older CRT or projection screen TV, the plasma uses less than either of those varieties.

Plasmas got a bad name for themselves way back when due to burn in issues and short life spans. They've worked out all those kinks since then though but because of the initial reputation, folks tend to avoid them...which means you can get a very sweet deal on a superior TV. When I went in to buy mine, the sales guy actually set the two TVs up side by side (the one I'd come in the buy and the plasma I ended up buying) and the plasma's picture was better...and if yer buying an HDTV...the picture is what matters most.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

+1 to what Craig said. I got a sweet deal on my plasma TV as well - cost me ~30% less than a comparable LED TV - and I cannot tell the difference between them.

I avoid 3D like the pox so I'll refrain from hating on it too much here. The 3D fad can just go and die already as far as I am concerned. Together with motion controls in gaming and Micheal Bay movies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

View PostNightfish, on 18 July 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

I avoid 3D like the pox so I'll refrain from hating on it too much here. The 3D fad can just go and die already as far as I am concerned. Together with motion controls in gaming and Micheal Bay movies.

When watching a 3D movie in theater's I honestly don't know the difference between it and a 2D movie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

plasma's are great, if you aren't playing games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

That's odd. We have both an Xbox 360 and a Wii attached to ours and my kids and their friends have no issues. A sharper more responsive screen degrades the gaming experience?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +