Page 1 of 1

How to host any form of server on Windows Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

Many Windows users would like to host their own servers for several purposes.
There are several steps to hosting servers which are not as complicated as they initially seem.

First off, you want to create a static (fixed) internal IP address. This is not necessary but Windows will routinely change this address and you will have to constantly update your server preferences.

Go to control panel >> under Network and Internet, click "View network status and tasks"

On the left side click on "Change adapter settings".

Now, right click on the connection type you are using, be it Local area connection, Wireless Network connection, or even a network bridge (as is my case).

Posted Image

Select "Internet Protocol Version 4", or IPv4. Click on properties.

Now we'll take a quick pause and open a new command prompt. Do this quickly by typing "cmd" in the start menu (XP users hit run in the start menu then type cmd).

Type ipconfig /all

Find this section

Posted Image

Note the IPv4 address, the default gateway, the subnet mask, and the DNS servers.

Go back to the previously opened properties window for IPv4 and do as shown with your own settings.

Posted Image

Hit OK and exit.
Note: Validate settings isn't necessary and will simply search for errors. Select it if you wish but it just wastes time.

Now your internal IP is static.

All we need to do now is port-forward.

Go into any web browser you have installed and type in the address bar your default gateway. It should be 192.168.1.1

Type in the username and password for your router. If you don't know it, simply search your router model online, as they have huge dictionaries of default router passwords.

When you are in navigate until you find port-range forwarding.

Posted Image

Then scroll down and type in custom settings for your server. Name it as you wish, fill in the IP address as your internal IP, which we made static before.

For Protocol select Both.
For the Start and End Ports, this depends on your needs. If you want to host a game for example, search Google for "Preferred ports for ________". For this tutorial I used the Minecraft port 25565.

Make sure the both ports are the same.

Check the Enabled button and it should now look something like this:

Posted Image

Click save settings at the bottom of the page and you're done! :)

Some quick tips before finishing:
1. People outside of your network connect through your external IP address, not the static internal one.
To find your external simply go online and search for what is my ip.

2. You connect to your server via your internal (in most cases).

3. In some cases, when people connect externally they will need to type the port number after your external IP.

Here is the format: XX.XX.XX.XXX:XXXX or simply external IP, COLON, Port number.

Hope you find this tutorial useful :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Page 1 of 1