Being in college for 2 years, Java OOP confuses me.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1302 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Being in college for 2 years, Java OOP confuses me.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

I've been in college for 2 years now (as the title says) and I've done a rudimentary course in Java years ago in high school. We never touched the OOP concepts back then.

In college we've done VB.NET and C# and getting drilled into our heads the OOP concepts. But self-studying Java has proved to be a b*#$h. Could it be Core Java Vol. 1 8th Edition complicating the concepts?

I don't know if it's just me, but it's annoying to think that I have a fair understanding of OOP, but going through the book on Java, just sends my brain crashing. Any of you ever experience difficulty with something you think should be relatively easy to grasp at your level?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Being in college for 2 years, Java OOP confuses me.

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Being in college for 2 years, Java OOP confuses me.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

sounds like the book. Especially since you have programming experience. Do you know how to code O.O style with your primary language?

I would recommend this book for java: http://www.amazon.co...11094631&sr=1-7

Sounds like the book you have from reading the reviews is for programmers- so I'm sure its not a teaching text.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostJ-e-L-L-o, on 19 July 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

sounds like the book. Especially since you have programming experience. Do you know how to code O.O style with your primary language?

I would recommend this book for java: http://www.amazon.co...11094631&sr=1-7

Yeah, I do. Quite comfortable with it in both VB.NET and C#. Just seems like Java's being difficult.

I'll try and get that book; kinda hefty though, money wise. But it does seem like the quality ones cost moola. Thanks for the reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

yes they do cost more. But that one has the most up to date stuff. I taught myself C this summer and was going to self learn java. I looked up 3 community colleges in my area, and thats the text they were using. I am no pro at programming, but I appreciate the hand holding and how texts start with int is this, this is a variable. It makes for a complete text, and you can always skim forward what you already know. You can usually get an edition early for a huge discount as well.

A good way to do it is take what you know, and use your current book for examples to code in. So take your C# sharp book, and code the examples as you go along in Java. It really helps when you are self learning. I did that with C, and its amazing how I feel more confident in my approach to coding in C and C++

good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

I am no pro at programming, but I appreciate the hand holding and how texts start with int is this, this is a variable. It makes for a complete text, and you can always skim forward what you already know. You can usually get an edition early for a huge discount as well.

Agreed! I like the books that are 600+ pages, that always gives me a clue of how much they cover. Plus, "int is this, this is a variable" makes it good for skimming.

A good way to do it is take what you know, and use your current book for examples to code in. So take your C# sharp book, and code the examples as you go along in Java. It really helps when you are self learning. I did that with C, and its amazing how I feel more confident in my approach to coding in C and C++

Sounds like a good plan, I'll definitely try that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Dont get your problem. OOP is the same in C# and Java. If you know C# what is so confusing about Java? The only different thing is syntax.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

View Postdarek9576, on 19 July 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

Dont get your problem. OOP is the same in C# and Java. If you know C# what is so confusing about Java? The only different thing is syntax.

That might be, but I'm sticking to the resources and not assuming I know it. But after a week and half I've come to realize that my Java resources I'm using to learn is lank confusing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

While they seem kind of childish, I am a fan of the Head First books. Check out Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Your right brewer..
Head first is a good book to deeply understand the concept, but somehow it lacks some deep parts..
But another good comprehensive book that i've been reading is Java: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel. Check it out here Java: How to Program 7th edition .. its a book that describes everything about java, well not really everything.. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Head First books are not childish! Just ten times more fun to read. After you're done with a Head First book you'll be able to understand the advanced books anyway, Head First does a good job of explaining the basics. After Head First get another OOP book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

View PostCreamDelight, on 20 July 2011 - 02:00 AM, said:

Your right brewer..
Head first is a good book to deeply understand the concept, but somehow it lacks some deep parts..
But another good comprehensive book that i've been reading is Java: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel. Check it out here Java: How to Program 7th edition .. its a book that describes everything about java, well not really everything.. ^^

I wouldn't go so far as to say that a Head First book will allow you to understand anything deeply, nor do the authors seem to portray their book in such a way. Head First books are, in my opinion, meant to introduce you to a topic and prepare you for further study with books that go more in depth.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

Which is why I gave the recommendation for the OP. Why get separate texts when you can have a complete volume that will explain basic and advanced topics all in the same place.

forget the price, here is what it covers:

Part 1 - Fundamentals of Programming: Introduction to Computers, Programs, and Java; Primitive Data Types and Operations; Selection Statements; Loops; Methods; Arrays
Part 2 - Object-Oriented Programming: Objects and Classes; Strings and Text I/O; Inheritance and Polymorphism; Abstract Classes and Interfaces; Object-Oriented Design
Part 3 - GUI Programming: Getting Started with GUI Programming; Graphics; Event-Driven Programming; Creating User Interfaces; Applets and Multimedia
Part 4 - Exception Handling, I/O, and Recursion: Exceptions and Assertions; Binary I/O; Recursion
Part 5 - Data Structures: Lists, Stacks, Queues, Trees, and Heaps; Generics; Java Collections Framework, Algorithm Efficiency and Sorting
Part 6 - Concurrency, Networking, and Internationalization: Multithreading; Networking; Internationalization
Part 7 - Advanced GUI Programming: JavaBeans and Bean Events; Containers, Layout Managers, and Borders; Menus, Toolbars, Dialogs, and Internal Frames; MVC and Swing Models; JTable and JTree
Part 8 - Web Programming: Java Database Programming; Advanced Java Database Programming; Servlets; JavaServer Pages; Remote Method Invocation
Appendixes: Java Keywords; The ASCII Character Set; Operator Precedence Chart; Java Modifiers; Special Floating-Point Values; Bit Operations
Index

Pretty much sums it all up. Its used at schools and university to teach the Java language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

Brewer that is what I'm saying, or at least tried to say. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:24 AM

View PostJ-e-L-L-o, on 20 July 2011 - 03:02 AM, said:

Pretty much sums it all up. Its used at schools and university to teach the Java language.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences, but I tend to stay away from books that schools use to teach. Unless that school is Stanford, MIT, or something in that league.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

You should check out the DIC Tutorials. My tutorial Moving Away From Parallel Arrays is designed to provide a basic introduction to OOP in Java.

Hope this helps some. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +