4 Replies - 6989 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Which GUI Toolkit?

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:58 AM

I am mostly a game programmer and that is what I have an education in. Unfortunately the job market is a little sparse at the moment around my area so I am looking to develop some skills in other areas of development, such as windows applications.

Which GUI toolkits should I be using and learning? I was going to start with Qt or MFC, are both of these in widespread use? Would learning one pave the way for learning another?

I have excellent C++ programming skills so feel I could jump straight in if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Which GUI Toolkit?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Which GUI Toolkit?

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

I wrote a huge, really awesome response, but it turns out going to the full editor if you've visited this page through the Twitter link doesn't preserve awesome responses.

Anyway.

I can't speak for MFC, but Qt is pretty rockin'. It's completely cross platform, and being a rather large framework, it provides some really nice wrappers around otherwise sticky situations in C++ (like internationalisation and network programming, among others).

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concept of event driven programming, but that's where lots of Qt's GUI-based stuff lies. It's a pretty simple concept, but I've noticed it trips a few people up when they're learning, for some reason.

I'd recommend learning Qt, because it's really easy. I was programming full applications in it 1-2 weeks after compiling my first "hello world" with Qt.

If you're a learn-by-a-book kind of guy, then check out Nokia's recommended reading. The first book, C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition), is what I learnt to program Qt4 stuff with, it's pretty good.

If you're a learn-by-tutorials kind of guy, I recommend checking out Nokia's tutorials. I've never used them, but if they're half as good as the book, then they're good. Unofficially, Zetcode's tutorials are pretty good for getting started with specific topics, however I can't say for sure how dated they are.

Lastly, the documentation for Qt is really good. Like, out of this world kind of good.

This post has been edited by Hiram: 21 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Thanks, and yes I am familiar with event driven programming. That is essentially what game programming is :)

I like the sound of cross platformness and good documentation so I will check Qt out.

Any takers for MFC?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Definitely go for Qt StayCrisp :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Yeah...I too recommend Qt. There is no reason why to develop applications using MFC. Qt has got a cool GUI Editor to work with and moreover, you can develop Cross platform GUI apps for a large number of OS and devices like Windows, Meego etc. So better to go with Qt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1