8 Replies - 1572 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How does one become a great .NET programmer

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

I am starting on a programming career next month with a software company working with .NET Programming,
I am not so experienced as i am a fresh graduate, i have written a few codes for practice purposes.But i can learn and can also teach myself if given guidelines on what to read.

I would like to know what does it take to become a great programmer.
Any natural skill required to become one.
Thanks
Xv
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How does one become a great .NET programmer

• WinRT Dev
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How does one become a great .NET programmer

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

POPULAR

I think some kind of natural talent is needed to become a great programmer but anyone can become a good one. Many people who are trying to learn programming are struggling with the very basics, like function return values and parameters while some people notice immediately what's going on when calling a function. Also some people might have problems with multiple nested loops while other people can read them easily.

Those who understand these basics easily have more time to learn more difficult things and when they write the code, it's very fast because they don't have to thing if they need a nested loop or not, they will come up with the answer while they type or before they even start typing, without much thinking.

For example a practice which everyone has done, printing a square of stars in a console window, will tell if the programmer has a good head for the logical thinking required in programming.

But to become a good/great programmer, you have to program a lot. Read about design patterns, design applications where you use these patterns and do the actual programming. Teach yourself things which are always required in real applications, like how to work with databases and web services. Create different kinds of applications which teach you different things. Try to create pretty UIs even if you aren't interested in UI design or graphics.

I have found that game programming is quite efficient way to learn about abstract classes and interfaces, as well as inheritance and other common concepts. Even if you don't care about games, you should try that too. Small games like asteroids, pong, tetris etc. will also help you.

If you only program at work, you will probably never become a great programmer. Of course this depends on how many different kinds of projects you can do but if you only work with a huge software, it might not teach you anything about different techniques like Silverlight or WPF or WinForms, depending on which the software is build on. Also the software might be built on .NET 2.0 because the development started in 200X and upgrading it to .NET 4.0 would cause troubles with customers and so on. So spend few hours a week to learn about things you don't use at work at the moment to keep touch to new technologies and methods.

These are my observations, not based on any literature or studies.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:50 AM

It requires passion and dedication to become a great programmer I think. I wouldn't put myself in this category, but that is what it seems like you would need to get there. You have to apply yourself outside of that 9-5 time frame. You have to learn things, even if they don't apply directly to your job, simply so that you can practice new and exciting things. You have to take part in forums like this. You have to read, read, read. I would also recommened asking enough questions of the experienced programmers to border on harassment (please don't take this to the literal extreme :helpsmilie: ). You pretty much just really have to want it and work for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

It's a lot of work that's for sure. It's going above and beyond what you're required to do at work/school. For most people, it's not worth it. And people shouldn't feel bad about it, maybe it's just a job for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

You definitely need the drive and passion. Also, understand that you will write bad code. To become good(or great), you have to understand why it's bad and learn from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

I believe my article will cover several of the essentials for you to become a good programmer.
I recommend you check it out and if you take something valuable away from the read, please 'like' it via facebook or +1 it. You can find the article Here.

Thanks
The Portable Coder
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

I tried to check out your article but just kept getting a "500 Internal Server Error" message. I will send you the exact text in a message. Could you give an overview of the article here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

ME TOO AM GETTING SOME FAILURE OF THE SERVER

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@ipage-inc.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

View Postxavi8808, on 25 July 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

ME TOO AM GETTING SOME FAILURE OF THE SERVER

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@ipage-inc.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Sorry about that all...
My hosting provider was having major issues all day yesterday..
Everything appears to be back to normal at this time if you are still interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1