• Last »

46 Replies - 5747 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

WTF is going on in Oslo?

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Oh my - I've been tracking this since Friday. A bomb that took out a building, a guy opening fire on a camp of children, and a car explosion? Holy shit!

Anyone in the area that could shed some light?

cite

Police in Norway have not ruled out the possibility that more than one person was involved in Friday's twin attacks that left at least 92 dead, officials said Saturday.

"We're not sure it's just one person... based on statements from witnesses, we think there may be more," Acting Police Chief Sveinung Sponheim said.

A 32-year-old Norwegian was arrested and charged with terrorism, but police have not officially released his name. Local media has identified the man as Anders Behring Breivik, who has been described as a right-wing Christian fundamentalist.

Seven have been confirmed dead from the bomb attack. Police said that the explosive was in a car.

At least 85 others were killed in a shooting at a youth camp in nearby Utoya island.

It was while authorities were searching for survivors of the mid-afternoon bombing that a man wearing a police uniform and identifying himself as an officer arrived by boat at Utoya island, about 20 miles from Oslo, where word was spreading among the campers about the explosion in the capital, said Adrian Pracon, a survivor of the mass shooting.

The man asked to address the group, and then started shooting. According to police, the gunman was active and shooting for an hour and a half before authorities arrived. He used at least one automatic weapon and one handgun, police said.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WTF is going on in Oslo?

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WTF is going on in Oslo?

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

right wing, christian extremist, neo-nazi. yay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

But he was such a quiet man....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

cite

Organic farmers striking back?

The suspect, tall and blond, owned an organic farming company called Breivik Geofarm, which a supply firm said he had used to buy fertilizer -- possibly to make the Oslo bomb.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• If at first you donít succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

making bombs from cow crap...
What will they think of next...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

From what I hear, the guy was a right wing nationalist with fundamental Christian beliefs. Although, I can't really say what this has to do with the mass murder of 92+ innocent men, women and children, how do you get from "I hate Muslims" to "I murder children"? Who knows... To be honest, this makes me fucking sick to the stomach, humanity surely has a ways to go.

Apparently this is a picture of the guy in the act
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

One person != humanity! There will always be sick fucks with mental unbalance.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

One could argue that this is because of all the anti-muslim/anti-terrorist propaganda thats been around these past what.. 10 years? But then again there have always been crazy people around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

View PostTethik, on 24 July 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

One could argue that this is because of all the anti-muslim/anti-terrorist propaganda thats been around these past what.. 10 years? But then again there have always been crazy people around.

No, I think you're on to something. Crazy people are extremely susceptible to propaganda. Look at Laughner, look at the unabomber (he was allegedly obsessed with the UFO stories circulated by the CIA's tech dept. and also had strong leftist and scientist criticism), and now this guy.
It's likely the anti-Muslim sentiment in the media had a lot to do with it (assuming their media is anything like ours). As a race I think we can come together and decide "maybe we shouldn't portray classes of people as monsters anymore". Arizona is bound to explode with another story like this in the near future too, they've done little to change what their governor called the "mecca of hate", but at least people are become more aware of this issue.

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 24 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

Since he is christian i'm sure the influence of his religious views on his actions will be downplayed/overlooked. And/or they will try to make it clear that his extremist views are different and separate from the mainstream lukewarm christian beliefs. What they will fail to realize (as always) is that by simply being a christian you are encouraging an institution and a set of beliefs which harbor extremist ideals such as this. A system of beliefs that has no foundation in reason and no regard for rational thinking cannot yield sane, reasonable individuals. that goes for all forms of superstition, not just christianity. i don't think religion causes irrational or extremist behavior, but it certainly encourages it.

just the simple act of not believing in an afterlife makes life 10000000000000000 times more valuable. The difference between thinking you're going to exist forever and you're only going to exist for as long as you are on this earth radically changes the way you interact with others and how you view your reality.

and that's my $0.02 before that cluster fuck gets started.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 24 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Atheists do bad stuff too I think. Wasn't the Virginia Tech shooter an atheist from South Korea?

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 24 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

The lack of belief in supernatural entities was not encouraging them to do evil things or follow extremist/irrational/unreasonable ideas. They would have done that one way or the other. In fact, religion would have probably only amplified that shitty behavior. By it's very nature, christianity is extremist, irrational, unreasonable. This is why we should have zero tolerance for those sorts of belief systems. Not because they believe silly things but because they harbor dangerous ideas and individuals.

With faith based religion, you are being taught it's perfectly normal to hold a set of beliefs about reality, regardless of actuality. What do you expect to come out of that?

EDIT:
The man you are referring to from the Virginia Tech Massacre, Seung-Hui Cho, stated that "Thanks to you I died like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and defenseless people."

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 24 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

no, I think you're misunderstanding that statement. The parents who raised him were uber christian but he "railed against it" as Wikipedia puts it. I'm not saying Atheism is a bad idea, I'm just saying that you aren't impervious to going crazy and shooting a bunch of people just because you believe a certain way so plz don't let your guard down =P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

i'm not saying anyone is impervious to going crazy. I am saying that irrational belief systems encourage irrational behavior. He hated christianity so much that he wanted to be made clear that he died like jesus christ. that makes sense. just because he disliked his parent's brand of religion didn't make him irreligious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

I don't think the allotted time has past since the last religious schism on here. Let's avoid that discussion for now.

Edit: that is to say let's keep the inflammatory commentary out of it.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 24 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »