2 Replies - 227 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are the checks before hosting a website?

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

I am very new to web development. Still I want to host a website which I have created just to learn php, mysql. I need to know what checks I need to check before I actually put the website online?

1. I want users to register to use the site. What is better? Should a user use his/her email address as their username or I need to ask them for a unique username for this site? Right now I have created a script that asks user's email address to register.

2. All my scripts (login, register, logout etc.) pure php and mysql. It is so, because I want to learn these techonologies first, and still I don't know javascript. Will it work fine now if I put it online?

3. What are other things I need to know before hosting the site?

Thanks in advance for helping.
sonal

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are the checks before hosting a website?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are the checks before hosting a website?

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

First you need to find a web host. Purchase a domain name from a domain registrar. Then forward your domain to the web hosts DNS servers. You need to look at the plans you can purchase or get for free. I use 000webhost and x10hosting. They're both really good. It really depends on whether or not you want an username or email. You could use both. When the user logs in you can write an if statement and do some regex and see if it's an email or not. If it is you append to the query something like WHERE `email` = '" . $shortvarforinput . "'" else then make it so that WHERE `username` = '" . $shortvarforinput . "'" You will need to create the database on the server, which shouldn't be a problem in the host support MySQL. 000webhost and x10hosting do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Re: What are the checks before hosting a website?

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Using email as login is usually a good practice, but depends on the type of the website.

A little of javascript and ajax are not bad, but of course its not absolutely necessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1