2 Replies - 5296 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

cross platform development

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hi everyone. My company is going to start getting into mobile development. I've heard there are solutions out there for writing mobile apps to run on all platforms, primarily iOS, Android etc. Any recommendations on what tools/dev environments would be good for this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: cross platform development

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: cross platform development

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Most of these solutions don't involve real programming, and are instead essentially HTML5 wrappers, something like RhoMobile and crap like that - My advice = Stay away.

Granted there are some good ones, but you wouldn't be writing a real app and is that really what you want?

Instead, I'd look into using C# / .NET / Mono.

Here are links for development tools for Windows Phone 7 (Free), iPhone (commercial, but trial available), and Android (same as iPhone).

They're all using C# so the code could be fairly standardised across all platforms apart from the display.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: cross platform development

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

Take a look at MarmaladeSDK. It's what I use and I think it's pretty robust.

edit:
Take a look at Cocos2D-X. It's what I am using. It's a lot closer to a game framework then a graphics library(sort of like XNA). Right now it supports iOS, Android, and WoPhone. It also supports Windows, but I think you're better off using a framework that was built for desktop.

Out of everything that I tried, I honestly think you can prototype a game with it extremely fast. It also has built-in support for map files made by Tiled Map Editor.

I know that I said MarmaladeSDK, previously, but Cocos2d-X is a game framework. I had to write my own game engine ontop of MarmaladeSDK. It's not a problem for me to write a game with the framework I already wrote, but for people that want to prototype something fast, I think you'll like Cocos2d-X.

This post has been edited by sparkart: 24 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1