So what are you working on?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 5660 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2011 - 05:06 PM Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

So what are you working on?

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

I was surprised there wasn't a stickied thread asking what the dream in code game programmers are doing for side projects.
So I decided to make one just because I'm interested to know what you guys\girls are up to.

I'll start off seeing as I made the thread :)

I currently have a XNA project inspired by the hacking mini game found in Mass Effect 2.
I've got the placeholder graphics done and showing.
The classes have been implemented.
It will be released on the marketplace\Windows 7 phone and PC (might see if I can get it onto steam).

My other side project is to learn Direct X (any book recommendations\tutorials are appreciated) and hopefully have a 3D game out some time next year.

So, what have you guys working on outside of work\uni?
Got any pictures\videos?

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 31 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So what are you working on?

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So what are you working on?

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

There is the share your project forum for stuff like this and there was a sticky but no one used it so we took it down.

I'm currently writing some shaders and improving my DirectX shader framework alongside writing a Nintendo DS homebrew library.

Here's a video of a game I made a few months ago using my DS framework. It can load models, sprites, backgrounds, sounds and uses fixed point maths due to the DS's lack of an FPU.

The gameplay is fairly rudimentary but it's really just to test the library. It has improved a lot since this video and hopefully will be fully available on sourceforge in the future. Working with consoles is probably some of the most intense and advanced programming I've done.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

Currently I am working on a deferred rendering solution using Directx 10. I am also writing up a system where I can model all my levels and screens(main menu, in game hud) in XML and parse it at run time to load the game up. I want to do this so I can change my art assets and screen layout without having to recompile my code. I have already got my XML parser written and tested. Now I am just defining all of the controls I can put on the screen (buttons, scrollers, background pictures)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

I've got a couple of projects brewing working with 2 different teams. One of the projects is a bullet hell game written for iOS using UDK. The other project is a 2d side-scrolling action rpg with a team of guys that I met online written for Windows in XNA. Once we've gotten far enough along and there's actually something worth showing, I'll post a couple screenshots either in here or in the Share Your Project forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

I've had to suspend my homebrew, too busy. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

I've started back writing my Eyes of the Dragon tutorials now that I've finished school and taken some time off for myself. It would progress faster if I wasn't writing on it. I was working on a side scrolling game in XNA now and again but that hasn't progressed much. I've been tossing around ideas for either an real time or turn based strategy game lately.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Congratulations on finishing school, SixOfEleven!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Great to see you back SixOfEleven, and congratulations! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

i`m kinda finishing my space ship shooter game its almost done i just have to make the main screen and some power ups but since i`m really poor artist this things eat a lot of mine time. after that i`m going to start either tower defense or an RPG i got the main screen for it which will pass perfectly to either of them. I really want to go for the RPG but it seems like its too much work for my current level at game programming though i found some really good resources for it

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 01 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

My time programming currently involves me bashing my fingers against the keyboard, trying to implement a consistent read/write system for save files in my Rock/paper/scissors game programmed in Liberty BASIC.

It is part of a consolidation project to help me establish what I have already learned, as well as pick up a few new skills, like saving game details, and making tables from arrays (the next trick i hope to learn after getting saves to work).

Some of the stuff all of you are working on sounds awesome :3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm currently working on a (sort-of) Mushroom Wars clone for Windows Phone.

The basic concept is that users will have different bases and use their finger to swipe from their base to another base, then a radial menu pops up allowing users to tap how many people they want to send (All, 3Qtr, Half, Qtr).. Then they march on across and do the fighting do!

It's a very simple game and trying to bring something like this to the mobile platform, thinking of ways to adapt the controls + gameplay for a smaller device is very very rewarding :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

@: If you just need some art assets and don't feel like spending a lot of time doing them yourself, check out some of the free art websites. Open Game Art is a good one and there are several more listed in the game programming forum. Only problem is finding something that really fits the feel of your game. Having to use someone elses art assets can become a problem if you want something very specific but can't find it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

exactly i`m using Game Development Tools/Resources which is awesome yet i cant always find what i need so i got to spend some time drawing my self. the horror that i unleash the horror :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

I'm working on a graphics plugin for PS2 emulators, called GSgl. It's up on github if you want to check it out. Another project I'm working on is my kernel, which is making slow but sure progress.

Oh, and I know this is probably not completely suited to the games programming forum, but It's close enough.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 03 August 2011 - 01:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

View PostAphex19, on 03 August 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

I'm working on a graphics plugin for PS2 emulators, called GSgl. It's up on github if you want to check it out. Another project I'm working on is my kernel, which is making slow but sure progress.

Oh, and I know this is probably not completely suited to the games programming forum, but It's close enough.

That is great stuff, I even looked through your code. It could be reduced significantly if you look into things like callbacks and as I frequently mention, Singletons. These would also make hunting down bugs a lot easier as well as preventing them in the first place. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +