3 Replies - 2169 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2011 - 10:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best way to store data

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place to obtain a little bit of advice for a program I am looking to produce in visual basic 2010.

I currently work as a design engineer designing press tools and a lot of our designs are similer just maybe a feature, length, diameter change etc. So the design principles are the same for each product.

What I am aiming to do is program the 3D design package so that 80% of the tool design can be done using the program etc.

Now the enquiry I have is where would the best place to hold the standard data be?

For instance each press has a maximum blank diameter, shutt height, bores diameters in the bed and likewise each product type has design features with the same calculations such as length, pierce etc.

I have done a bit of reading and I have found that data can be stored into text files, xml files and databases etc or hard coded into the program.

I am looking to allow new presses to be added so the user would need to add new shutt heuights, blank size etc but the tooling would have to be unqiue dependent on the typs of stage.

So I am wondering to store this information would a database be the best option even though the data will not be continually updated more a place for it to be retrived from excpet under failry rare circumstances.

Or would a text or xml file be ok in this case?

Sorry if I sound a bit muddled but I am quite new to vb programming so am trying to avoid re doing months of work by getting the design stable up front.

Thank you for any advice.

Craig

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best way to store data

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best way to store data

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

i think the best way to store such data (specially if its rather large amount of it and lots of type of presses) in database. you can use mysql because its free. also if you dont really want to use database you can use XML files with fixed looking type for example:
<name>SomeName</name>
<price>SomePrice</price>
etc. and make different file for each press. however the best way to store a data is to use database. files are to store little amount of information or to just store the options of your program. if you dont know how to use databases be sure to stop at our vb.net tutorials section for more information :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thank you noBrain. Sorry for th elate reply but I have been away.

I have done some more research and checked out the tutorials you linked me to and again thank you for that.

Just so I know I am on the right track the best way I have found to work with the database data is to link to the database then gather the data for instance a customer table information and put that into a data table then disconnect from the database.

From this you can work with the data in the dataset then any changes can then be updated by connecting back to the database.

I think thats it in its basic form which makes sense.

One question I have from this is if the data is taken then we disconnect from the database how best would it be to file lock this data in the database as form what I understand if this is not done two users could grab data from the database into their dataset change it and both upload it so the second user to upload would over ride the first persons data etc?

I am a bit lost when reading up on file locking how best to do this.

Any adivce would be most welcome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

I have to agree with NoBrain it's either an official database, or XML. Depends on how often you need to access this data, and whether or not you're the only one accessing it as often. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1