7 Replies - 902 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

slow boot and warranty coverage?

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hello,

I have an hp phenom quad core running win 7 64 bit. About a month ago, it started to take a very long time ( about30 minutes to get to a windows prompt). The time for bootup varied, at times booting up in 2 t 3 minutes which was normal, but more often taking 20 minutes or so. There was never a time when it would not boot to a Windows screen after a sufficient period of time.

The essence of my problem is getting the machine fixed under a 2 yr warranty. The machine is an HP M9500F. I purchased it in 11/09 from overstock.com, and paid for a 2 yr extended warranty. The machine came with a free upgrade from vista 64 to win 7 64. I got an upgrade disk to Win 7 from HP and ran compatibility tests from Microsoft, then installed win7. The machine has run fine until I got the bootup problem as described above.

I was not terribly concerned with the problem because I had the warranty. I called the warranty company, they gave me their help desk. I described the bootup problem. They said to revert to a date before the problem occurred using Win restore, and that if that did not work, do a clean install of win7 from the upgrade disk. Neither procedure solved or improved the problem. They then said that they would send the problem to their warranty service provider, a company called Nexicore, and that they would contact me and send a tech to repair the machine. They thought it might be a cpu failure.

Now we get to the nub of my problem. I never heard from Nexicore, the repair vendor for a week and a half, so I called them. They maintain that the problem cannot be addressed unless I reinstall Win Vista, do the upgrade to Win7 again, and if there is still a problem they will then address it.

I mentioned that the machine functioned perfectly for a year and a half running Win 7, so what would be the point of reinstalling vista and running the upgrade to Win 7 again. I also updated all drivers that I could find. Beside the crazy amount of time to go from Vista install to Win 7 upgrade (not to mention backup of files), in order to do this, I would have to pay HP $14 for a replacement disk of Vista.

The tech guy said that there must have been drivers on the Vista upgrade to Win 7 disk that had become corrupted and were needed to run the BIOS properly. It seems that the repair vendor is laboring to attribute the BIOS/bootup problem to a software issue, and (surprise!), the warranty does not cover software.

I'm very frustrated and hate to begin the crazy process of sending $14 for a new Vista disk, installing it, then using the Win7 upgrade disk to install win7, and then verifying the the BIOS/bootup is not solved. Am I getting treated poorly by the warranty company? Any suggestions as to how I can contest his evaluation that vista must be reinstalled to restore errant drivers to solve the problem? Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: slow boot and warranty coverage?

• Junior bit compressor

• View blog

Re: slow boot and warranty coverage?

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

Just a small suggestion, but...
Maybe your virus protection software had a registry error from total registry overhaul and OS change, and just thinks that it's supposed to scan the entire computer upon boot-up. Try rooting around in the scanner's settings.

I've heard about some weird incompatibility problems with software and Win7, it's all just a suggestion. (but what here isn't?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Sounds like corrupted drivers. Does it boot slowly when you jump to safemode?

Try the report option
http://www.sevenforu...ry-details.html

Safemode?
http://www.sevenforu...ot-options.html

Am I getting treated poorly by the warranty company?

Welcome to every warranty company.

Any suggestions as to how I can contest his evaluation that vista must be reinstalled to restore errant drivers to solve the problem? Thanks!

Nope, oddly they are (more than likely) in the right. Your average PC from a HP, Dell, Asus all tend to have odd and proprietary hardware. Odd crap like a sound card and modem shoved together, or a form factor that's all jank. The Vista disc (that you should have created when you first got it or at bare minimum before you upgraded) has all the lame special drivers for this special hardware. You might be able to head to HP's site for your model and get driver updates for EVERYTHING from them, but that might not really work. 40/60.

If they are insistent that you must first install the Vista discs and then Windows 7 my guess is they get a lot of volume for "broken pcs" that a simple repair from Vista and win7 would have taken care of the problem on the users end saving wasted time and shipping.

So either go through all your chipsets, usb, video card, bridges, Ethernets, and etc and get the legit drivers from HP, or fork for the $14 for discs you should have made from day one and follow their advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I had a similar issue with a customer once. He was all bent out of shape because his Vista install was taking 5+ minutes to boot to the desktop. After I cleaned up the system, it would boot in under 1min, 20 seconds. & when I mean desktop, I mean clicking start & launching stuff.

He was furious,because he had payed umpteen dollars for a quad core processor, blah blah blah. So I backed up the entire hard drive, did a fresh install of Vista, & it booted in 10 seconds. After I applied Service Pack 1, it was over a minute. The more I dug for information, the more this is the case with other users complaining about Vista performance.

Chances are, your machine got some update from Microsoft or a driver manufacturer, & now the Operating System is bloated. You can check under the system event viewer for driver timeouts, but chances are if it's a software issue the computer manufacturer is not going to cover it. The computer still functions, their warranty covers the the product, not the software & it's operating environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hello ,

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I tried booting in safe mode, but the machine exhibited the same symptom, a slow to very slow BIOS check before getting to a Windows screen, and then performing in a normal rapid manner. I did rule out a corrupting Windows upgrade, as I had reverted back 6 months to a previous period when the machine functioned well.

I found some of the suggestions interesting especially the idea that indeed a corrupted driver (perhaps for the motherboard?)might be at fault. As I have no real plan to remedy the situation other than to backup, reinstall Vista, then do the upgrade to Win 7 again I will do this. I think that my frustration, perhaps as a result of my lack of understanding of exactly the sequence of bootup events, is that the corrupted driver supposition seems at odds with several computer behaviors on startup.

Among the anomalies in the boot process is that the boot process will sometimes stall for a 15 or 20 minute period after checking RAM, but before hard drive recognition and other checks. It will always resume the bootup, sometimes pausing again after drive recognition. Ironically, for the past week, the machine, in its innate contrarian nature, has booted up flawlessly after 4 or so weeks of bootup problems. The other reservation about the corrupted driver solution is that after reverting to a previous time when the machine had experienced no bootup problems, and presumably to a driver that was uncorrupted, the machine still exhibited the bootup problem.

Please excuse me for continuing this thread. My problem is that I simply love corrective strategies to a problem that fit very neatly, and somehow the driver argument with reinstall of Win Vista and doing the upgrade to Win 7 again suggested by the warranty company seems contradicted by the computer behavior and more an easy way to discourage a warranty claim.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

If you are seeing slowness outside of the OS, that eliminates all issues caused by Vista. I would try removing ramslots, one at a time & booting, seeing if you can eliminate a bad memory chip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

boot into the bios, mack sure your system is not carrying out certain checks (ram, hdd) on boot

kevin
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Moved to Software Support -> Windows
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +