• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 7946 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Adobe Flash replaced?

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

I just see this as an unprecedented move, especially with the entire scare of Windows 8 being run on HTML 5 modules (debunked)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 03 August 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Flash and the sort aren't going anywhere, they're just going to become more specialized to the things they do best.

This.

So, with the inclusion of Edge, Adobe has added more software to handle web development, whether it be porting Flash to HTML5, or to use it just as an HTML5 development tool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Adobe just protecting its ass?

So, HTML5 could potentially take away a percent of the market Flash has cornered... so, with Edge the possibilities are:

1. Adobe loses share of market from Flash, those people migrate to Edge to develop HTML5: People are still using an Adobe product, so it's a win
2. People don't really care, Flash people continue using Flash, but some non-Flash developers begin using Edge: More people using Adobe products, so it's a win
3. People continue to develop in Flash but then use Edge to convert it to HTML5: People are using both Flash and Edge, Adobe win x2

Granted, these are oversimplifications, but the idea is the same.

Now, it would be a different story for Adobe if a competitor came out with Edge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Well there are a bunch of developers and designers around the world who create Flash products. Now we have a bunch of clients specifically requesting HTML5 solutions. Adobe could either allow its developer and designer base to move sideways into HTML5 or they can offer to bridge the gap by allowing people with Flash skills to keep working in what they know, while providing their clients with what they want.

Adobe had no choice. I have a client with tens of thousands of dollars invested into Flash applications and they're prepared to walk away next year and move to HTML5.

You just have to look at how Adobe created FlexBuilder 4.5 as an iPhone/smartphone app builder. This was done specifically to allow Flash skills to keep working with Adobe products while making the type of products that are hot right now. The last thing Adobe wants is a big part of it's Creative Suite being useless. One of the attractions of Adobe is you can create everything you need from inside one software package. As soon as people have to use a different product for part of their development, questions get asked "is CSx the best product to use?".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostCharlieMay, on 02 August 2011 - 02:40 AM, said:

But didn't Apple say that the iOS 5+ will support Flash? I could be wrong but I thought I had read that somewhere.

Anyway... does this mean that I won't have the Flash update every time I restart my computer? That shit is getting old.

Wait so you're saying that Flash will be directly implemented within the iOS? That you don't have to download it..?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

how did you interpret that line to mean that...

flash support != implemented directly within
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 05 August 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

how did you interpret that line to mean that...

flash support != implemented directly within

illuminate me please? :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

View Postjamesb1, on 05 August 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

illuminate me please? :(

Kind of off this topic, but iOS 5 will not support flash, but they are expanding HTML5 and CSS support. Find a full list of changes/additions Here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +