3 Replies - 2826 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

US hosting for European users and vice-versa

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hello, DIC community!

I was looking for a web host that I could use for some of my clients' websites as well as my personal projects. I have been pointed towards www.bluehost.com, since it is very cheap (apparently very reliable as well) and has all the features I need plus unlimited space, bandwidth etc.

The thing is, the servers are located in the US, and most of my clients are from Europe (myself as well). Would it be a mistake to purchase a plan with this host? Would the sites load significantly slower for European users? I checked out some hosts from the UK, but the prices are much larger than bluehost's. Is the speed difference so important to invalidate the price difference?

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: US hosting for European users and vice-versa

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: US hosting for European users and vice-versa

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:58 AM

Where have you been looking for UK hosts?

Granted the prices will be more, but the service will be much better (generally..) and more realistic. You have to remember that "unlimited" bandwidth and space are governed by policies that mean you will never really get anywhere near unlimited, possibly not even a few GB.

I hate both of these companies as I have my own hosting which isn't crap - But they're pretty cheap: http://fasthosts.co.uk/, http://1and1.co.uk/

To be honest, I would never even consider shared hosting due to my experiences in the past with a whole host of companies (including BlueHost and that weird monster thing from the US) which everyone seems to recommend due to instant setup and stupid pricing. But perhaps that's just me.

If your clients are businesses, however, I would recommend getting a sound infrastructure that isn't shared with a 100 other clients, otherwise you could end up with some pissed people on your back :)

EDIT: Sorry I kindof went off on one, to answer your main question about speed. It will be noticable, but nothing too drastic. The main thing you'll have is making the initial connection could take slightly longer. This includes your DNS lookups and initial HTTP request to the page. However once that's been done, DNS is cached, and the same connection is (generally) reused for the rest of the requests of that page, so it shouldn't matter too much.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 02 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. :)
I checked out the hosts you linked me to, and they seem to have virtual and dynamic cloud servers, but they start out at about 15 per month which is about six times more than bluehost's shared plan.
My clients aren't large businesses with incredibly CPU-intensive applications - just the standard PHP and Rails applications (with maybe 100-200 active users/day) coupled with a few other, mostly static websites.
Would you still recommend me a dedicated machine?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hello there!

You could use http://versio.nl for your webhosting?
Those are very cheap and they are based in the Netherlands.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1