4 Replies - 14643 Views - Last Post: 21 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Java Game Programming Books

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hey, just wondering if there is a book or a set of books that any of you recommend for Java Game Programming? I am currently looking at:

1) Developing Games In Java - David Brackeen
2) Killer Game Programming in Java by Andrew Davison

Has anyone read the above books and if so, how are they? I really want to look into Java Game Programming as I intend to do a game for my matric (final year) project. I am not a complete novice at making games in Java and I have done a few 2D Games with Swing.

So, any books that deserve special recommendation?

Thanks,
v0rtex

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Game Programming Books

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Game Programming Books

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I remember reading them quite a while ago, and from what I can remember, they were good but too little time spent on each 3D Library. Its good that you have experience in 2D games with Swing, but this is quite a lot different to 3D programming. If I was you, I would personally concentrate and work within one specific library, and get books which deal directly with this library. I would recommend JMonkeyEngine, and from what I can remember, they are releasing their first book anytime soon. As for Java3D, not too sure about this. I did hear rumors that it was becoming redundant, not too sure though. JMonkeyEngine is probably the most popular library, and has been steady for quite a while now.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Any idea when the JMonkeyEngine book will be released? I have to hand in this project July next year and I would definitely like to start asap but at the same time, I am not too excited to spend nearly ~150$ on learning material for engines that are redundant. Developing Games In Java seems to focus more on the Game Programming fundamentals whilst apparently Java3D Focuses on 2D application and then for the most of the book focuses on 3D programming. I really want as much time as possible so if you know of any other books (or if anyone else does), that could be hopeful. Then please list them :)
Thanks nick2price.

I have also noted that their book is targeting beginner's only, I hope this covers 3D as my goal is to do a simplistic 3D shooter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi I'm Brent from the jMonkeyEngine project.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient topic but I thought you, or anyone else searching, should know that the JME book was finally released =)

jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner's Guide

The book is targeted towards beginners but it will build you up to an intermediate level of experience with JME.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

Although the book is not Java specific, the Game Programming Patterns is an excellent resources for architecting a game in general. You can find it over on www.gameprogrammingpatterns.com for free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1