• Last »

69 Replies - 6352 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Missouri has done it again...

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Missouri Teachers banned from adding Students on Social Networking Sites

It's right about now that I'm ashamed to say I'm from this state. We're going back to the dark ages "for a good cause" where naive freshman lawmakers think they can change the world.

CNN is already put this on the National front, the ACLU is probably within days of lawsuits flying our direction. You think these fools can learn to sit down and shut up already, it's like they want to commit political suicide just to make a name for themselves.

Problem is, as soon as this comes to Gov. Nixon's front door he'll throw them all under the bus and claim he never knew about that one paragraph. If only we could all claim ignorance to such things, but this level of impotence is unforgivable and I personally want to see this man thrown out on the street.

Thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Missouri has done it again...

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Missouri has done it again...

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

POPULAR

Derp derp derp. Derp?
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

View PostKYA, on 02 August 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

Derp derp derp. Derp?

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

Wow... First people are pissy when some type of sexual scandel between a teacher and student breaks.

"Why wasn't something done about it?"
"Why was it even allowed to happen?"

So they pass a law trying to fix it. Its okay to have group pages for a teacher and a classroom, but not exclusive private pages for a teacher and a student.

And y'all are pissy about that too.

Make up your fraking minds. Do you want your teachers and students able to chat behind closed {internet} doors are not?

In the mean time why don't you try this at your next PTA meeting:

"Stop worrying about the damned Facebooking and social media, and go back to teaching. I'd be a lot happier if my kid could fill out a job application than expanding his contacts on 'Mafia Wars' "

Its funny that the people in charge of this country today seemed to get a good enough education 20-40 years ago to become masters of industry. But now the teachers can't do their job without Facebook?!?!?! WTF?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

It's a matter of free speech. Government has no right to impose on such things and that single paragraph is enough to sour the entire bill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:17 AM

Now you are getting into the sticky area of it.

Is Facebook free speech? Or is a computer networking service?

How would people react if those same private notes and letters between student and teacher were being kept on paper, hidden secret in shoe box under a 12 year old girl's bed? Would it look a little strange to you then?

Can the school district tell a teacher that a tShirt saying "Fuck you whores. Suck me" cannot be worn by a teacher to class? Or is it covered under 'free speech'?

An employer can set down the policies of employment. Guidelines for communication protocols and dress codes and even moral clauses are not uncommon. If the employee doesn't like it they can quit. They are not being held at gun point.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

I think the teachers/coaches and athletic directors should keep tabs on their students. It is actually a requirement for some students at my sons school. This keeps the kids from getting out of control and helps monitor Cyber-bullying in a sense.

It all starts at home people, laws do nothing but put duct tape on an already broken system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

I think the teachers/coaches and athletic directors should keep tabs on their students. It is actually a requirement for some students at my sons school.

The keyword here being some. The woman who ran the in-school suspension at my school had the phone numbers of some students with legitimate issues like anger management so they could call her if something came up. I think some of the assistant principals and certain special education teachers did the same thing. I only know of one person that needed to be followed on Facebook, and he was in trouble with the law for substance abuse. And it was the police who kept tabs on him, not the teachers.

The other side of the equation is that if teachers are checking up on students, is it really appropriate for students to be following up on the teacher's social life as posted on Facebook? It doesn't seem professional to me.

Personally, I found it a little weird to friend teachers while I was in their classes that year. For me it came down to "you were on _, so why are you late on homework?" After the class ended, I added some teachers I got along well with and I got a couple requests from some after I graduated. It's fine at this point. I think they found it equally as weird though to add students who attended the school.

An employer can set down the policies of employment. Guidelines for communication protocols and dress codes and even moral clauses are not uncommon. If the employee doesn't like it they can quit. They are not being held at gun point.

I hear what you're saying. I think the point is that doesn't the government have better things to do than micromanage if a teacher and student are Facebook friends? Aren't there legitimate issues to tackle like improving the system and quality of the education provided?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

I don't agree with the inclusion of the law. I think it is ineffective and stupid.

But I don't think it's so horrible that it was included in the bill. Like tlhIn`toq says, it's the employers right to include a general code of conduct. And the state are public school teacher employers. It certainly isn't a breach of freedom of speech, it's not like the teachers are going to jail, it means they put their job in jeopardy.

This isn't the reflection of injustice, or an example of some politicians political suicide. It's a clear example of state government attempting to enact stupid little 'feel safe' rules that are ineffective but make the dull masses feel better.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

View PostNykc, on 03 August 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

I think the teachers/coaches and athletic directors should keep tabs on their students. It is actually a requirement for some students at my sons school. This keeps the kids from getting out of control and helps monitor Cyber-bullying in a sense.

It all starts at home people, laws do nothing but put duct tape on an already broken system.

Again I go back to the idea that teachers are supposed to teach. When did it become the teacher's responsibility to raise the kids? PARENTS are supposed to keep their own kids from getting out of control. Though you sure wouldn't know that looking at them running up and down the store aisles.

"Cyber-bullying" - give me a fraking break. Kids have been bullying each other since before Socrates and Plato.

Its normal human behavior to figure out who is the strong and the weak. Who are the pack leaders and the followers. Its not going to change now just because of some new technology. It used to be dipping pig tails into ink wells. Practical jokes. Setting up one kid to look silly in front of others. Playground fights. "De-pantsing" some kid and running his shorts up a flag pole. And all of that was done as recently as 20 years ago by people who today are running the country and corporations. The weak are running the mail room. That's just life. Not everyone is top of the food chain. Nature's law, not mine. I'm honest enough to recognize my kids are no different. My son got full-ride engineering scholarship. My daughter is destined for a job with her name embroidered on her shirt. It is what it is. But their teachers never had to keep them under control. They learned that at home from day one. They were raised with ethics and compassion and morals.

Now days kids can't be bothered with bullying in the real world. Its too much work. Just like they can't be bothered with playing real games out doors. Its all in cyber now. Games, interaction, education and bullying. There is nothing new here. One girl calls another girl a slut because she stole a boyfriend. Carving it into her locker, or posting it on Facebook makes little difference.

Put a belt across your kids arse now and then, and let the teachers spend their time teaching, grading papers, creating new lesson plans and tutoring. Don't you think that is enough burden for a teacher without making it their job to teach your kids some manners and respectful behavior?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Here's a way to curb some of that cyber bullying...
Monitor your kid's interaction on-line.

Having their very own computer and smart phone is not a god given right.

I know several parents that have one computer for the family. Each kids has their own log-on. But the computer sits in the living room or study area where they have no privacy. Its really hard to make or post a bullying video if you're trying to do it in the living room while mom and dad are in their recliners watching your monitor - seeing that you're not doing your homework.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

See IMO it's that very same rationalization that makes me consider the inclusion of the law to be ineffective and dumb.

I see no good reason for or against it. Pedophiles have always existed, and they will find ways to grab hold of your kids in what ever system they exist. If they want it, they're going to try and get it. Disallowing online communication is just a placebo to make scared mommy feel better. And I wouldn't compare it to a box full of notes from the teacher.

Instead it comes back to the very same thing you're suggsting. Parents should invest a bit more time into raising their own kids and not expecting the state to for them. If mommy doesn't like bobby having communication of any sort with Ms. Smith, than mommy shouldn't allow bobby to do it. My mother didn't like ol' man Fischer down the street, she didn't ask the state to stop Mr. Fischer from coming to our end of the block, she told me to stay the fuck out of Mr. Fischer's yard.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

I think the reason cyber bulling has become a big deal to the schools is b/c it puts more evidence out there related to the school. In my district, the schools had enough power to punish students for cyber bulling outside of school, even if it wasn't on school issued computers/technology. What schools don't want are negative reputations for themselves developing. There is also the perception that technology has increased cyber-bulling and inappropriate interactions between minors and adults (hence the law regarding students and teachers on social networks). Imo, it's made it a little easier sure, but the main thing is it has made it more public. That's the big deal- more people see and hear about it, and can track it.

On the flipside, certain social media (ie., Facebook, Twitter) have made it very easy to block people. So if someone is bullying you on Facebook, block them. If someone is sending harassing text messages nonstop and running up the bill, file a complaint with the phone company. There is also something to be said for saying "fuck this, I don't have to put up with bullying" and moving on. People are people. If you don't care for them, don't deal with them. That's been my policy and it's served me pretty well.

I do tend to agree with you, thlIn'toq, about letting the teachers teach and parents discipline.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

that whole repremanding for cyber-bullying OFF SCHOOL GROUNDS is bullshit.

When I was a kid and if someone beat me up, or I beat someone up at the park, or down at the grocery store, or anywhere not the school. My principal didn't come to me and say, "I heard you beat up Jimmy out on C Rd, you're suspended". And no one expected the school to be responsible for that. Why would they be? They only logical reason I could find is that because I met Jimmy at school, which is crap, I could have met him at a friends house, in the grocery store, or anywhere, it's not the location where I met him responsibility to protect Jimmy from me busting his fuckin' nose in and breaking his ribs (actually his name was Eric, and he raped two little kids).

Now if I busted his shit in in English class, that's different. Just like it wasn't the grocery store's responsibility to protect Jimmy when I beat up on C Rd, it was the cops' responsibility... and let me say, they turn a blind eye to a lot of things.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

I completely agree. The school's rationale is this though.

Facebook post made off of school hours and premises:

John Doe posts on Jane Smith's wall: Jane, you're a hot slut. Come fuck me and then I'll pimp you out. I know a ton of guys that would pay top dollar to tap dat ass.

John Does has ABCD High School listed on his profile and it's public. Now, the whole world knows that there is major sexual harassment and prostitution ring at ABCD High School. Uh oh, the school looks bad. This could hurt our funding too. What should we do?

Before technology, this wasn't so blatantly visible. But with technology, it puts pressure on the school by portraying it in a more negative light.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »