10 Replies - 4750 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Site Check: I need some quick input

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

Disclaimer: Please read carefully

The site design is already set in stone.
I am already losing my ass on the site so I just need to finish.
This isn't really for a review but your input on how to fix something on the page.
This site is optimized for modern browsers, I don't care about IE6 or 7 in this matter.

With that out of the way, I can't spend much more time on this site as it is costing me money now since I just discovered about 20 more hidden pages of content on the original site.

link removed... I have to remove this link after a few days as it is a temporary parking space for the client to view.

What the client as well as myself is trying to figure out, I need to do something with the space between the header banner and the content/side navigation. Initially I had a bar there separating the header from the content container. THis is the only thing she is not happy with and neither am I at this point.

Any suggestions on what can be done to make it more presentable?
As for the rest of the design I am not making any more changes except the footer has not even been touched yet.
I am losing money on this site and I need to wrap it up.

Any feedback on that element is appreciated.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 04 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site Check: I need some quick input

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Site Check: I need some quick input

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Can you make the bottoms look curved to a small gutter with a black gradient overlay?
Like this site:
http://www.nuance.com/

You could add a thing contrasting line on the interior of the banner and the links?
http://ellislab.com/

Heck - even a bit of a textured overlay on the buttons would help break it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Kind of like an inline-shadow - that might actually work.

The contrasting line on the interior of the banner might also work - I can put some spacing underneath it to help separate the content. This might even work better than the above example.

I will continue to play around with it tonight.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

I should beat you mercilessly for using comic sans as a header in this topic.

Now, on topic. Contrasting lines, as stated above, are quite a good idea to add some more definition to the site, but I would stop there on adding things.

The only real issue I see with the site other than contrast is the banner. If you want a quick fix, I'll lay out some steps:

> Take off all layer styles on all parts of the image.
> Move the GWG logo over to the right and up at least a good 100-150px.
> Take out the globe and just put the tagline under the logo.

This is assuming that you want to spend under half an hour fixing this all up. It should be fairly quick to do.

http://abduzeedo.com...ffect-photoshop

This is a quickie effect you can pull if you want to do anything more to the banner.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

See it got your attention though didn't it.

Unfortunately she is set on that damn globe - after about 4-5 banner revisions (one point rainbow text was mentioned) this was what I came up with to her liking. I will try your advice on moving it to the right and up - it is the full globe of course.

I gave her some bonus CSS3 effects at one point just to give it a more modern feel - her old site was Geocities revisted. This was supposed to be a 8-10 hour site mostly porting pages over. Real cheap, just make it look better than what she had type project for a friend of a co-worker.

This has so far turned into a 16 hour 65% finished nightmare. If I make any more modifications to the layout or images, it will be simple tweaks at this point for that reason alone. I am backlogged with 2 site redesigns on a schedule as strict as this project here.

The only problem with removing the layer styles on the image, you would have to see the original which is the .com named after the directory of the link provided. You will then also have a better idea of what I had to work with on such short notice and with somewhat restricted creative licensing.

I might attempt that trick to the banner though, thanks for the input and the link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

Throwing ideas out, but you could try something like this:

Attached Image

Unfortunatelly I understand your pain as to matters like this. I have quite a few sites like that in my portfolio that I really should take off... Some clients think they're the designer and take things as they want them with no regard to the professional integrity of the actual designer/developer. It's the way of life I suppose....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Isn't that the truth.

I am never undertaking a a project with that much customization again for as cheap as I did, I should have known better so shame on me. From now on for that price the client gets pre-built templates with modifications made accordingly.

The biggest nightmare so far has been porting the content. There are open <P> tags and 100's of semantically incorrect errors on every page.

For the pro-vita page I did half of it over before finally just using HTML tidy. HTML tidy is going to be my best friend for the rest of this sites content.

I still have a few forms to create, like I said before I am losing my ass on this site now.

Thanks for the advice and help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Make sure to write that up in future contracts that customization and revisions without warrant are subject to surcharges.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

"with out warrant" gets a bit foggy. I tend to roll with "you get two alterations or additions post signing off on the project design... anything after two and my rate is doubled". That tends to make people understand and put more care up front... it also means that some people just have money to burn and will eat up your time for mad cash.. because they like to be able to say "I have my owner personal X that does that".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Granted, a tad sloppy in wording, but a contract that is solid is definitely something worth investing in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

I am definitely going to revise my contracts and policies. I usually offer up an hourly rate and then provide support for 90 days - after which I then charge additional maintenance fees.

I also give them basic SEO ready, friendly sites and offer an SEO package as an add-on.

As of now all my personal sites are currently down due to half my own stupidity and the other half being backlogged.

So once I get this project done and catch up my client redesigns - it will be time to revise my stuff and do a full scale rebrand/relaunch campaign.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1