• +
  • Last »

79 Replies - 9168 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall Semester

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Take that back about Vector Geometry. The instructor is Heath Hart. Physics just says staff. I took the AP-C Physics class last year. It was a weak class (more the instructor), but I've at least seen the material before.

Residence Hall- Pritchard, 4th floor. I stayed in Slusher when I was at orientation. It was hot as hell up there. I'm glad I brought a fan.

Class sounds interesting, avoid Liqing Zhang like the motherfucking plague.

I'll keep that in mind. What's the deal with Zhang, though?

Database Systems (ok, but I really didn't want to be there)

Not saying I couldn't stand to improve my database skillset, but I just find databases to be very dry. I learned a ton my freshman year of high school, then I just didn't use it. So I've forgotten a fair amount.

Unless they changed this part of the curriculum, you're stuck choosing between a 3xxx software engineering course and a 3xxx human-computer interaction course.

According to the 2014 draft, I don't have to take it.

Your schedule may suck now, but knocking this stuff out early will be great for later flexibility.

Just looking ahead to next semester, the only general eds I have to take at that point are English and the other general engineering course. That still leaves 14 hours free.

Allevato, if I recall, is a young graduate teaching assistant. He's a pretty cool guy from what I remember.

Glad to hear it. I heard good things about McQuain for 3114 Data Structures II, so I was hoping to get him. If I place out of Data Structures I, though, I can still get him for Computer Organization. I have three hours left, so I might see if the CS department will let me force the problem solving class since it's a prereq for all the 3000+ CS courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Here's mine I am in my senior year of college, so for this semester:

CSCI350 - Advanced Programming (Uses C++ as the main language, students are allowed to use their preferred language, I chose to use C#, it does not matter as long as you can do examples and your end of semester project.)
MATH206 - Elementary Statistics (Easy stuff.)
MATH225 - Discrete/Finite Mathematics (My favorite subject, don't judge me.)
CSCI525 - Internship a requirement to graduate.

16 Credit hours in total for this semester, not sure whether I should go and pursue Masters or not I am planning to get Microsoft, and Java Certifications, and I've already got 2 Associate Degrees one in Engineering/CAD, and one in Computer/Server Tech.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 04 August 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Take that back about Vector Geometry. The instructor is Heath Hart. Physics just says staff. I took the AP-C Physics class last year. It was a weak class (more the instructor), but I've at least seen the material before.

Residence Hall- Pritchard, 4th floor. I stayed in Slusher when I was at orientation. It was hot as hell up there. I'm glad I brought a fan.

Yeah, no AC. Pritchard is a cool place to meet people and well enough located, which is nice.

I'll keep that in mind. What's the deal with Zhang, though?

She's a horribly disorganized instructor. I dropped her class the day of the second lecture because she had sent about 20 emails in between changing the homework assignment. My friend also had a hell of a time in her formal langs class as she'd lose papers, fabricate grades, and was often unable to explain why she deducted points.

Not saying I couldn't stand to improve my database skillset, but I just find databases to be very dry. I learned a ton my freshman year of high school, then I just didn't use it. So I've forgotten a fair amount.

I wouldn't have taken it given the choice.

According to the 2014 draft, I don't have to take it.

Yay! I hope Tech is getting closer to realizing that Software Engineering and Computer Science aren't the same thing.

Glad to hear it. I heard good things about McQuain for 3114 Data Structures II, so I was hoping to get him. If I place out of Data Structures I, though, I can still get him for Computer Organization. I have three hours left, so I might see if the CS department will let me force the problem solving class since it's a prereq for all the 3000+ CS courses.

McQuain is good. Instructors to prefer:
  • McQuain
  • Wu Feng
  • John Lewis (although I doubt you'll take any low level enough classes to get him)
  • Cal Ribbens, although he doesn't teach a lot anymore
  • Arthur, because he's awesome.

This post has been edited by xclite: 04 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

She's a horribly disorganized instructor. I dropped her class the day of the second lecture because she had sent about 20 emails in between changing the homework assignment. My friend also had a hell of a time in her formal langs class as she'd lose papers, fabricate grades, and was often unable to explain why she deducted points.

I'm glad I inherited the auditor gene if I ever get her as an instructor.

Yay! I hope Tech is getting closer to realizing that Software Engineering and Computer Science aren't the same thing.

And hopefully one step closer to moving CS into the math department.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely keep these in mind.

@Mikhail: Discrete was one of my favorite classes too. Beyond the discrete probability unit, I thoroughly enjoyed just about everything else we covered. It was pretty easy too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

I'm really looking forward to my semester. The majority of my classes are for my major and not just prerequisites.

-Algorithm Analysis
-Advanced Digital Design
-Microprocessors
-Statistics for Engineering
-Microeconomics (need it as a general ed requirement)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

CS105 - Ethics and Professionalism
CS121 - Computer Science I (using C++)
EH301 - Technical Writing
HPE174 - Billiards (was 1 credit hour short so I needed to take a Health and Physical Education class)
MA201 - Calculus C
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

AI, Human-Interaction, Computer Theory, and Computer Organization. Just a year closer to my degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 05 August 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

CS105 - Ethics and Professionalism
CS121 - Computer Science I (using C++)
EH301 - Technical Writing
HPE174 - Billiards (was 1 credit hour short so I needed to take a Health and Physical Education class)
MA201 - Calculus C

You get to play pool for a grade? Where do you go to school? I'm transferring ...

I screwed up last year and stopped going to my classes, ultimately ending up in me failing 3 courses last semester alone. Here's my list for this semester:

COMP 2500 - Data Analysis with Scripting Languages
COMP 2710 - Object-Oriented Programming II
MATH 1000 - Calculus I
PHYS 1020 - Introductory Physics I
ENGL 1080 - Critical Reading and Writing I
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostBrewer, on 05 August 2011 - 06:31 AM, said:

You get to play pool for a grade? Where do you go to school? I'm transferring ...

I screwed up last year and stopped going to my classes, ultimately ending up in me failing 3 courses last semester alone. Here's my list for this semester:

COMP 2500 - Data Analysis with Scripting Languages
COMP 2710 - Object-Oriented Programming II
MATH 1000 - Calculus I
PHYS 1020 - Introductory Physics I
ENGL 1080 - Critical Reading and Writing I

University of Alabama in Huntsville - I'm allowed to take up to 4 credit hours in Health and Physical Education courses. So I chose Billiards. I thought about taking Bowling or SCUBA.

What language will you use in COMP 2710?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Last term :-D :-D
Andvanced Rendering - advanced raytracing algorithms and techniques
Computer Vision - Image detection and manipulation
Database Concepts - SQL and Oracle programming
French Independent Study (finish off the minor)

Im more worried about finding a job though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 05 August 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

University of Alabama in Huntsville - I'm allowed to take up to 4 credit hours in Health and Physical Education courses. So I chose Billiards. I thought about taking Bowling or SCUBA.

What language will you use in COMP 2710?

I'm actually jealous, I love pool. My university doesn't require in health/phys ed credits (which is good seeing as there isn't a Billiads course :P)

I'll be using Java in 2710, which isn't that thrilling, but I get to use Python in 2500, so I'm looking forward to that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostBrewer, on 05 August 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

I'm actually jealous, I love pool. My university doesn't require in health/phys ed credits (which is good seeing as there isn't a Billiads course :P)

I'll be using Java in 2710, which isn't that thrilling, but I get to use Python in 2500, so I'm looking forward to that.

Well they prefer that we only take them if we don't have enough credits during a semester. Since I'm a transfer student I have all my basics but don't have enough computer science classes done so of course I ended up being a little bit short my first semester.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

For me this fall:

• Japanese I
  • Urban Art of Early Modern Japan
  • Compilers
  • Object-oriented Web dev and security

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Unix and Web Development
Databases
Data Architecture
Statistical Application for Engineers
Biology II
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

This fall for me I be taking some accounting classes and some business classes.

I transferred from a community college to a university. I need to take a math placement exam.

does anyone have any good suggestions to reviewing the math material. I took a math class in my college last year on college algebra. I placed high in the placement exams over there but I was able to use a calculator. This university dosen't allow you to use any calculator on the exams. I would think logarithms would be hard to do without a calculator.

Any good resources to brush up on my math? Like I said it's been a year since I took a math class. I was placed to college trig in my community college but my major only required college algebra. So I had to take it. I already got my associates degree in accounting, finance, general business, general studies.

Now going for my dual in accounting and finance for the bach degree. I can't wait to finish college and get it over with.

This post has been edited by hockey97: 07 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »