• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 4946 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Space News.. Mars and Jupiter!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

A few fun facts - NASA just got off the Mojowire to indicate they think briny water flows on Mars.

Dark, finger-like features appear and extend down some Martian slopes during late spring through summer, fade in winter, and return during the next spring. Repeated observations have tracked the seasonal changes in these recurring features on several steep slopes in the middle latitudes of Mars' southern hemisphere.

"The best explanation for these observations so far is the flow of briny water," said Alfred McEwen of the University of Arizona, Tucson. McEwen is the principal investigator for the orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) and lead author of a report about the recurring flows published in Thursday's edition of the journal Science.

Bitch'n images:
http://www.jpl.nasa....ease=2011-242#5

NASA's sending Lego figures to Jupiter's orbit... because if we have to share them then no one will play with them! Muahahaha..

NASA's Jupiter-bound Juno spacecraft will carry the 1.5-inch likeness of Galileo Galilei, the Roman god Jupiter and his wife Juno to Jupiter when the spacecraft launches this Friday, Aug. 5. The inclusion of the three mini-statues, or figurines, is part of a joint outreach and educational program developed as part of the partnership between NASA and the LEGO Group to inspire children to explore science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Pretty pictures.
http://www.jpl.nasa....elease=2011-241
http://www.nasa.gov/...go20110803.html

Juno's mission (besides being a snarky preggo teen)

The Juno craft is expect to reach Jupiter in 2016. It will investigate the origins of the planet, as well as the structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere of the gas giant.

Juno features a color camera that will take close-up pictures of Jupiter, hopefully including the first-ever images of the poles of the planet.

In addition to the plastic spacemen, Juno features a plaque dedicated to Galileo, which was provided by Italy's Space Agency. The plaque features the scientists own words.

"On the 11th it was in this formation -- and the star closest to Jupiter was half the size than the other and very close to the other so that during the previous nights all of the three observed stars looked of the same dimension and among them equally afar; so that it is evident that around Jupiter there are three moving stars invisible till this time to everyone," it reads.

Damn I love the space program!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Space News.. Mars and Jupiter!

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Space News.. Mars and Jupiter!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

I want my manned mission to Mars, dammit!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

The water discovery is kind of a smoking gun they'd expected to encounter eventually. There'd been signs of recent water flow before but they never managed to catch it in action like they did in those time lapse pics. It's a good sign though as any mission to Mars will need to be able to do a little prospecting for materials. Water for human consumption and fuel cell use is one of the things they'd really like to know about in advance.

Damn shame we don't have another rover in the pipe waiting to go as that'd be the place to go to find microbial life now.

What'll be interesting now is if they can go back and look at the geologic features of the place where they've found this supposedly liquid surface water and see if they can predict where else it'd be likely to occur...and then monitor such place and eventually discover whether they're right or not. That would be a huge deal: to know where to find water on Mars.

Really though, the next NASA mission should be an asteroid prospecting mission. Just a minor sized nickel/iron asteroid is estimated to contain as much nickel and iron as has ever been dug out of the earth's crust by mankind in total. Apparently, all the heavier elements we mine today in the planet's crust are the remnants of asteroid and comet strikes shortly after the crust started cooling billions of years ago. The asteroids and comets are the same stuff that formed the earth...it's just that in our case, the mass was enough to make the whole thing a giant molten ball and all the heavy elements sunk to the core. That means the asteroids are a treasure trove of every heavy element we value today: iron, nickel, cadmium, gold, platinum, lead, uranium, cobalt, etc.

There's gold in them thar rocks. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

No new rover? Bro - we tots got the hookup on the new Rover! Mars Science Laboratory rover aka Curiosity!

http://www.nasa.gov/.../msl/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

My bad. I completely forgot about Number 5.

August of next year, huh? Too bad they couldn't switch site selections at the last second now that this info has surfaced.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Bah - if you can curve a bullet you can totally curve the flight trajectory.

Oh shit.. wait a minute...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

How many more years will I need to wait in-order to become a Space Marine?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Well.. if you are a marine right now I know a person that is an official 'space travel agent' that is trained and certified by Virgin Galactic... and for a nominal fee you can be on the trips to space.

Nominal = $200,000 usd
trips = 45 minutes up, 4 minutes in space, 45 minutes down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

You can't be a space marine until you've got an M41-A pulse rifle.

I don't get why the moon is suddenly no longer interesting now. Last I heard, it was full of titanium, and had at least 6 billion tons of water on it that we either knew about or strongly suspected. Add that to the ridiculously low gravity and it seems like the perfect place to be manufacturing and launching interplanetary craft to my way of thinking. From there you could haul twice as much shit to Mars on less fuel than launching it all from Earth. Yes, I understand that you have to get it to the moon first, but there has to be inherent gains in being able to use a vessel that doesn't have to enter the earth's atmosphere or land where there's any serious gravity.

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 04 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

lol, maybe if we find element zero you can be one in a few years ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

I thought it was unobtainium...

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Can't be a space marine until we get the tech off the mass relay out by pluto.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

first we need element zero though, can't have the mass effect with element zero man ;)

@modi: that's what funds the operation. we use element zero to fly to distant tribal planets, invade there home and mine unobtainium to bring home and sell so we can afford to get more element zero. then later once we all have space tech we can have space marines, chaos marines, Elder, Orks, and Tau can all duke it out ;)

P.S. am i a nerd? i've been discovered!! beam me up Scottie!!

P.P.S. the mass effect allow us to travel back to distance times and far far away galaxies so i propose a deal...sell trips to star wars fights so fans can actually see the fights take place!!

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 04 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

View PostCraig328, on 04 August 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

There's gold in them thar rocks. :)

Fuck space marines, I wanna be a space miner!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

Posted Image

Does anyone else find it ironic that every time N.A.S.A. gets a major financial cut they suddenly have ground breaking news about water or life on Mars?

Or Am I alone on this? It's like they've got the wild card up their sleeve for when the money runs out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +