2 Replies - 1396 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

#1 p0is0n  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 19-February 10

Web Services - php, c# help understanding limitations

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,

I have recently discovered web services, however I need some advice.

I want to be able to create web services and access them using C# or/and in some cases php.
While researching web services I have come across a few pieces of information that I would like to have clarified. (I cannot find decent sites/sources to clarify this information)

1. C# .NET can only consume web services served as document/literal (wsdl) (from testing this seems to be at least partially accurate)

2. The PHP built in SoapServer cannot serve document/literal (wsdl) services 100% correctly (again from testing this seems to be correct)

3. The PHP built in SoapClient can handle document/literal (wsdl) services

4. WSDL 2.0 is not actually supported by either php soap or c#

(please forgive me/correct me if any of the terminology is wrong as I am new to even the idea of web services)

I have a website hosted on a linux server, I am happy to keep my site on a linux server if this information is incorrect, but am also happy to move to a windows server use an alternative (ASP.NET or whatever the alternative should be) if this information is correct.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me figure out the truth behind these statements.
Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Services - php, c# help understanding limitations

#2 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1004
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,562
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Web Services - php, c# help understanding limitations

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

1. C# .NET can only consume web services served as document/literal (wsdl) (from testing this seems to be at least partially accurate)

If you're talking about built in classes, then this is possibly true. However it would be very easy to write your own parser.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

2. The PHP built in SoapServer cannot serve document/literal (wsdl) services 100% correctly (again from testing this seems to be correct)

What do you mean by 100% correctly? I've never had an issue using SoapServer.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

3. The PHP built in SoapClient can handle document/literal (wsdl) services

Indeed.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

4. WSDL 2.0 is not actually supported by either php soap or c#

Also correct.

Not quite sure what the questions are here, you can write just as good a web service in PHP or C#. Although to be honest with you, I would go with C# + Windows Server route.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 p0is0n  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 19-February 10

Re: Web Services - php, c# help understanding limitations

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostRudiVisser, on 05 August 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

1. C# .NET can only consume web services served as document/literal (wsdl) (from testing this seems to be at least partially accurate)

If you're talking about built in classes, then this is possibly true. However it would be very easy to write your own parser.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

2. The PHP built in SoapServer cannot serve document/literal (wsdl) services 100% correctly (again from testing this seems to be correct)

What do you mean by 100% correctly? I've never had an issue using SoapServer.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

3. The PHP built in SoapClient can handle document/literal (wsdl) services

Indeed.

View Postp0is0n, on 05 August 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

4. WSDL 2.0 is not actually supported by either php soap or c#

Also correct.

Not quite sure what the questions are here, you can write just as good a web service in PHP or C#. Although to be honest with you, I would go with C# + Windows Server route.



Thanks for the reply.

I was talking about the built in classes for C# for parsing/importing, don't really feel confident enough to write my own parser yet.

While searching I found a few references to SoapServer form php not dealing well with document/literal wsdl files. I tested it out myself with a file I knew (well at least was pretty sure) was fine, but it could have just been that I did indeed make a mistake or misunderstood something (it happens).

It's a shame that WSDL 2.0 isn't supported, for some reason I liked it more than WSDL 1.1 :S

I am contemplating the switch to a windows server (if for nothing more than to try out some ASP.NET coding, it will however require some real thought before I make the switch as I know a lot less about what I need to look for in a windows host than a linux one.

Thanks again for the help, your clarifications have been very helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1