8 Replies - 1483 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good tutorials+ books to get started?

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

Hello,

I'd like to get started writing applications for smartphones (iPhone and Android), but I don't know the first thing about those.

Could you recommend some tutorials on the Net and books I could order?

Thank you.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good tutorials+ books to get started?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Good tutorials+ books to get started?

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

Do you know Java and Obj-C?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

No. Are those two languages the only ones available to write cross-platform applications for iPhone, Blackberry, and Android?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well they don't allow you to write cross - platform applications as there is no real way of doing that at all in the world of mobile development.

IPhone uses Objective C to create its applications, whereas for example Android uses Java. You can't mix and match, and for example an Android app written in Java cannot be run on an IPhone.

You best bet is to just pick one platform, and stick with it. For all three, you will have to learn multiple languages and get to grips with multiple completely different frameworks, which takes time, and a lot of it. You must also consider that you must have a Mac to develop for IPhone, whereas Android apps for example can be developed on a Mac or on Windows.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostRyano121, on 10 October 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

Well they don't allow you to write cross - platform applications as there is no real way of doing that at all in the world of mobile development.

There are actually lots of solutions available. For instance, iOS development is supposed to be done in Objective-C and Android is supposed to be done in Java. For a project that I am working on, I am using neither. I am using C++ for the majority of the development.

You best bet is to just pick one platform, and stick with it. For all three, you will have to learn multiple languages and get to grips with multiple completely different frameworks, which takes time, and a lot of it.

I am using only one framework and only one language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

That is true, yet would you really recommend that a complete beginner should go down that route when there are frameworks in place with good documentation that beginners will be able to get to grips with easily.

There are always alternatives - like Mono for the .Net Framework - yet I still would recommend a beginner to get Visual Studio Express and start learning in the way that 'it was meant'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostRyano121, on 18 October 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

That is true, yet would you really recommend that a complete beginner should go down that route when there are frameworks in place with good documentation that beginners will be able to get to grips with easily.

I think the framework I am using has good documentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

View Postsparkart, on 18 October 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

I think the framework I am using has good documentation.

That may be so, but my point still stands. Remember that we are talking about a complete beginner here, with no experience in mobile development. I am not sure of the specifics of the framework you are using, but I would still recommend that a beginner should stick with the base frameworks for Android and IOS etc. Yours may have good documentation, but where do you go if you want to find very specific help? At least with the base frameworks you can come to forums like DIC, where there are a lot of other people who have experience with the exact framework that you are using. Surely the same cannot be said for third party frameworks?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

littlebigman,

There certainly are ways to build apps cross platform. I guess the first thing will be to choose what dev environment will a) target the platforms you want to deploy across, and B) have the quickest learning curve for you based on your background. I think it's ok to start with a "simpler" language, and learn other languages after you have some understanding of basic concepts.

I put together a diagram of the dev stacks that exist for building mobile apps so take a look and you can hit Google to find out more about the ones that are of interest to you:

http://www.philterdesign.com/?p=107

Also, if you really want to learn Objective-C, I've found that one of the best (FREE!) sources are the lectures from a course at Stanford. You can get them here:

http://itunes.apple....-hd/id395605774
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1