7 Replies - 5526 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2011 - 12:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie building an application

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

Hey all,
Wanted to ask this question to the experienced board.
I can turn a computer on but am not sure about what to do next?
Anyway I would like to build an application for myself that would allow me to do my estimation (HVAC)by going through menus and clicking buttons all while compiling information for the last page, the final report!
Does anybody know the easiest program to build this on for someone very green?
Is there an advantage over C or C++ or C#?
Do I need a college degree to get good at programming? How did you guys get so good?
Thanks for your input.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Newbie building an application

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie building an application

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

Standard resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated July 2011
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 10 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

Does anybody know the easiest program to build this on for someone very green?
Is there an advantage over C or C++ or C#?

It will be easier to do the user interface in C# as opposed to C++ or C.

Do I need a college degree to get good at programming? How did you guys get so good?

No to the first, and lots and lots of practice to the second.

I will second what my Klingon friend says in his message:

Don't try to create a useful working program to fit a need of yours (or a for-pay contract) as your introduction to coding project. When you are learning to code you don't know enough to code a program, let alone know how to engineer the architecture of a program. It would be like saying "I don't know how to read sheet music, or play an instrument. I think I'll write a 3 act opera as my first learning experience."

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

Mr. Klingon
Thank you!
I will follow the guidence you taked the time to lay out for me!
I greatly appreciate it!
That is the thing, I dont want to get half way through it and bam frustration! I am done!
I would love to get to the point and understand this stuff so well I could make a profit from this! Not even close yet! I took a VB.net class in college from a guy who had not a clue and thought I knew some stuff, not even close! This application would be for myself, my home hvac biz I do on the side, just wanted something easier and more accessable. I thought about buying a canned program, there are a multitude out there, but what about creating your own! That just seems to be the way, I am learning something valuable while making my own applications!!!
Again thank you!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

The pro side of making something for your own industry is that you have probably used several other programs. Many of which are made by coders who *think* they understand your industry, but really don't.

I hate it when someone outside of my industry tries to tell me how I should do my job. And that's what coders are really doing when they write programs for an industry they are not from. Sadly most of us are guilty for it at one time or another. We look at the lady behind the counter at the electric company and say "How tough can it be? Just take the money and credit my account. What a moron!" Even though we know nothing about how they do things, what hoops they have to jump through because of loss-prevention audit trails, all the blocks in the system designed to keep clerks from doing something wrong/dangerous/illegal/above their paygrade, etc.

If your only interest in learning to code is to write this one program it may never be cost effective. You're going to spend a few thousand hours learning to code simple stuff before you can even attempt this functional program. Then hundreds more building this program 'for profit'. If you sell it for $29.99 a copy feel good about it. So how many thousand copies do you need to sell to pay yourself for thousands of hours you spend on the project given how much you could have made at your HVAC pay for those thousands of hours?

For a single program need, it sometimes is better to hire someone to do it. We have a forum here on DIC for contracting jobs, and frankly I trust it more than most of the 'coder-for-hire' sites because you probably will be hiring an American with decent skills and work ethic. Plus have less fear of the program you hire someone to make for your profit, turning up on an Indian website for sale rebranded with a different name. I've heard WAY too many stories about this happening.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

I can guarantee that for a beginner, C# will be easier to pick up and easier to work with, especially from a user-interface standpoint. Commercializing this application will be much harder. You can easily make it to suit your own needs, but can you anticipate everyone else's? That's the important part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

That would be something make millions :) HA HA off some program.
I am interested in how far I could go with this thing? What will I know when I am done?
How will it effect me?
HVAC Pay is about on average 15.00 - 30.00 an hour. That is what I do now, would love to get a second job or an second at home job doing something like this in the future. Now I just want to make it easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Trust me, most of us aren't making millions on software. I do this for a living, and I'm not even close to seven figures.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Get a good book or two and see if this is the kind of thing you actually like to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1