10 Replies - 639 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

New Design

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

I got tired of looking at my old design so I put this one together:

http://fallensword.neverpool.com/

I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do for header text, or if I want to put any there at all.

What do you think of my design? Anything I should change?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Design

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Design

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

I am not entirely sure what to critique. The background is a boring slate gray. There's no graphics, and the site is a standard "menu on the left/content on the right" setup. It's like a shell for some sort of development is there, but it lacks the the next step past the template.

Over all a bit dreary, and not much to advocate I should come back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Templates should take longer to make than 20-30 minutes.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 08 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

What?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

take to make, typo on that one...

No, what I was saying was that you need to spend far more time on sites than under an hour, especially at your level. Heck, even going as fast as I can I barely manage under 10 hours for a project unless it's a tune up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:26 AM

Well this is a very simple design. I would suggest doing something to make it look more of a website. You have just a background and your navigation boxes. I would suggest take sometime and pride and create something else. Add something to it. It is very flat and the concept is simple and to the point. I would just make it more appealing but if simple is what your going for you hit the nail on the head.

Well this is a very simple design. I would suggest doing something to make it look more of a website. You have just a background and your navigation boxes. I would suggest take sometime and pride and create something else. Add something to it. It is very flat and the concept is simple and to the point. I would just make it more appealing but if simple is what your going for you hit the nail on the head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Updated it...

http://neverpool.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

I was gonna just try again because the internet here in Afghanistan blows right now with everyone on it but it just loaded so I will pass what I think about the update to your site. The gradient from the flat slate was a good change in a view and gives it a different appearance than from last time I saw it. I think you added the border around the main content which seems to make the focal point where it's needed. I would look around your site but the net is to slow here for now. I will check again later and see if there is something that is really to plain. The text seems to be different this time around also. I think the text selected it fine. Although you added the gradient to the background I think it still needs some images or something on this site .... It still seems naked to me but its getting there just can figure out what else it could use. Try adding a honeycomby faded to the background from the top to middle or something and see what thats looks like. Just an idea.

I do like the simplicity of the site you have made though. I just looked at your source code just to peak and your code looks pretty clean and I see you enjoy using css3 by the way it looks. Well I wish I was a little help to you on what I thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

Spend at least 10 hours sketching and coming up with concepts and then coding from a psd file. Take your time, I can't emphasize that enough. Right now all you're doing is making trivial changes and calling it an update.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

What throws me off, personally, is the color scheme. It just looks flat. The off-gray and the forest green, while having a decent contrast, are ugly. You really need to put some work into this if you want it to look good. You can make this layout work somehow, it's just the way that layout is presented that makes this site look unappealing. Have hope, but, as said before, sketch it out. Design it. Also, look at other sites for inspiration. That's what you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Neverpool, I've been there. Design can be troubling. Take what Lemur said to heart. Sometimes it'll take me days to think of a design and to revise it. It took me a few days to think of this. You need to try and find a decent color scheme. There are a ton on http://kuler.adobe.com/ also make sure to pay attention to your typography. Wireframe and sketch a few designs. Try them all and see which one works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1