3 Replies - 325 Views - Last Post: 10 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Looking For A Web Design Book or Course

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

First let me start out by saying thanks in advance. Whenever I post here I always get great responses.

I'm looking for a book to start web design but I want to end up creating sites like this one: http://www.stoneshop.com

I consider my self a quick learner and always have problems with books taking it too slow. However I'm not ready to jump right into an advanced book and them referencing things I have no idea how to do.

Can anyone reccomend a good book that would jump through the basics pretty quickly and cover advanced things? I'd like to end up doing Flash, HTML 5, CSS, and Javascript. I can use iWeb and other extremly basic programs.

And once again thanks for your reccomendations.

One last thing, if anyone has any great tutorials online that cover what I mentioned then I would be up for trying that too, I think a book would be better though

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking For A Web Design Book or Course

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking For A Web Design Book or Course

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

Well it's certainly interestingly hacked together, I'd have to take a closer look later to decipher some of it considering some of the javascript usage.

As far as books, I would recommend Transcending CSS and Advanced CSS, the HTML end is notoriously easy in comparison. The CSS backing things is where most of the fun happens.

Really, come to think of it, a lot of HTML tutorials I've been reading lately are absolute trash so far. Most of them have you starting out in some seriously bad habits, a majority of them I'm still desperately trying to fix myself.

I'll be writing an entire series on HTML and CSS very soon, it's been on my mind for a good deal of time by this point. I'll post some news on it as I get into it.

I like the general look of this one, but I haven't read through it: http://htmldog.com/g...s/htmlbeginner/

The thing I notice about it is that it doesn't teach deprecated tags or tags that are irrelevant as soon as you learn practical CSS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

I wasn't nesscarily looking at the way the site was coded, I just like the general look of it and would like to be able to build sites as advanced as that.

I'll be intrested to see your guide when it comes out.

I'm looking for something a little more then the site you posted.

Thanks for your post but does anyone else have any suggestions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

As far as advanced matters, you need to start reading blogs and tutorials instead of books. Books for the most part are attributed towards beginning coders, never really any advanced web books.

Check my post in this subforum, it has a nice sized post of blogs to check out.

EDIT -

http://www.dreaminco...l-html-and-css/

4 tutorials up at the time of posting.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 11 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1