Future of c++

• (3 Pages)
  • +

39 Replies - 14453 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Future of c++

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

C++ undoubtedly is very popular language. And it has a lot of opportunities. Someone thinks - c++ is very strong and very comprehensive tool, but someone can say that there is no reason to include so much things in one language - it makes it onerous.

Anyway, until this time c++ has been an excellent tool for software development. But other languages try to supplant с++ from applications development sphere. So what the future of c++ may hold?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Future of c++

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Future of c++

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

About the language I just love it. It's powerful in the sense of language, and not in the sense of a big framework behind it.

C++0x is already out there and they keeping improving the language without changing the concept of programming in C++ (it's not updates to make it easier, it is to make it better), I like that.

But I do share my worries with you, I really like C++ and I use it a lot, but only in the academical and hobby sphere. Is rare (almost impossible) around here where I live to find a job to work with C++.

Anyway, even with all cloud computing fuzz and all this languages becoming popular out there, C++ will still there. We need it to make the code that runs 'under the hood'.

This post has been edited by anonymouscodder: 12 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

Prognostication is always very dangerous thing to do. C++ is a very interesting language and it continues to grow in depth and techniques. With the possible exception of Javascript I don't know of another language which has done so much growth though introspection. C++ is not the language today that the standards committee was planning for back in the 90's or what the inventor intended when he started. We have "discovered" so much about it and that has changed the way modern C++ programmers approach the language.

People have been predicting the death of C++ for a long time. I was talking to one former programmer who was convinced that C++ would have gone away by now (his view of C++ and languages in general was very dated). Look at the list of "Related C++ Topics" below - this topic comes up again and again. My favorite is: "Does Anyone Code In C++ Anymore?" as if when you ask for C++ programmers you expect to hear crickets.

C++ is alive and very vibrant. The truth is though that very few languages actually directly compete with C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

C++ isn't going ANYWHERE in the game industry. there isn't another language which offers the same kind of speed and powerful features. C++ has the most powerful generics of any procedural language(Haskell beats it) that i have seen. it offers all the speed of C but with such useful constructs that programing can be much easier. also with modern optimization techniques C and C++ are almost as fast as assembly.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thank You for your answers, colleagues
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

C++ is just as powerful as C or C#, but so much easier to use, the syntax is simpler and the language is more abstract. There is a great reason to include so much in one language, C++ is meant to do anything and everything you could realistically need while providing a relative simple, concept based platform for code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

C++ it's a powerful language, the std of games industry. I like of that syntax, it's beautiful, don't like python or other language syntax(except by C), when i had seen C++ for the first time my eyes cried T_T kk. I'd to learn it.

In love with C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

C++ is definitely going to be around for a long while. Especially like ishkabible mentioned in the game industry. C# is too clunky compared to C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

If you claim that C# is clunky, then what do you call LUA and Python? A lot of current games use these languages for their AI and other customization.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I can't honestly say much about LUA but, Python's dynamic and flexible from my experience. My primary focus is game engines so I've mainly used C++ and enough sharp to know my way around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 23 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

If you claim that C# is clunky, then what do you call LUA and Python? A lot of current games use these languages for their AI and other customization.

If I remember right LUA is used mostly for scripting and AI since it allows you to focus more on providing a great AI and things like that and less on the efficiency provided by a programming language such as C/C++ , etc .

Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

It's my counter argument, if C/C++ is so good, then it should also be used for AI and scripting, because those are also important components of a game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 26 February 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

It's my counter argument, if C/C++ is so good, then it should also be used for AI and scripting, because those are also important components of a game.

It's a two way stream . C/C++ has great performances but no one can ever say that it is easier than LUA .
In C/C++ you have to take care of too many details which in LUA don't come up .
So I guess it's not about the perfect language but the perfect language for a specific job :)
Also, I have seen some C# games , and they are not bad at all , comparing the work you have to put in a C# game and in a C++ game . I think for indie developers C# is a good choice :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Works that are calculation intensive (or speed and memory optimization is a must) ...

Some examples are in the Quants world jobs :P (in this kind of jobs is good to have a good mathematical skills.)

http://www.quantfina...jobs/cplusplus/

Of course has future in his own niches ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

If you think about it, C/C++ is behind lots of other programming languages out there:
  • CPython is written in C
  • Perl's interpreter is written in C
  • Google's V8 Javascript engine is written in C++
  • The BASH interpreter is written in C
  • The Lua interpreter is written in C/C++
  • etc...

Like what anonymouscoder said, C/C++ will have to be around for a long time to support the majority of other languages (including the "cloud-based" stuff). I highly doubt that C/C++ will die in the near future and when it does (which undoubtedly would happen at some point), computers would have already changed so much that we might not even be "programming" it in the traditional sense anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +