• (3 Pages)
  • +

39 Replies - 18510 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Future of c++

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yes rust ashews mutability and has built in unique/shared pointers AND very strongly ashews data sharing between threads (I'm not sure it is even possible) and no null pointers (or addresses of locals that may die). This offers some really strong guarantees that C++ doesn't really have. I'm not entirely convinced that they can achieve C++ level performance however; at least not without first attempting to go into a market the needs the assurances more than performance first. It will be very different to optimize Rust than to optimize C++ and while much of what works for C++ will work for Rust it's the other stuff that is going to hold them back. To overcome that they will need a larger mass of people and to do that they will need to be more widely adopted.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 21 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

It'll be tough to see how the community develops until they stabilize the language somewhat, too. My experience with Rust thus far has been much different from when I tried out Go, which felt a bit more stable when it popped onto the scene.

This post has been edited by raspinudo: 22 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

Andrei Alexandrescu mentioned previously has written a book on a language inspired by C++

D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'm also interested in D, but what has me worried about its ability to compete is the fact that D uses a garbage collector by default, whereas in Rust I believe it is optional.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

D doesn't make me think much different from C++ though. I don't really see much of a difference between D and C++ with the Hans-Bohem collector (in fact D basically uses the same collector). Sure there are some nice things thanks to lack of C backward comparability but that's literally it. You trade nice things for backward compatibility...that's kinda boring if you ask me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi NickDMax...
C++ is not going anywhere. It has lost its popularity but still C++ is very powerfull language. Many programs built on C++ are there. Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is here to show the value of this language. C++ is not as easy as Java is but still it has its own value and still existing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

The Programming Languages Beacon, v11.1 - January 2013
http://www.lextrait....mentations.html

C++ rules :gunsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm not old, nor a expert programmer. This a difficult debate. But, what I've heard back in the 90s a programmer used to use basic and assembly. C,C++ has mostly replaced those. C# is trying to replace C++. There is also the hell of Cobol. I don't how to use that language, but I think declaring data structures is bulky, forgive me if I'm wrong. Some brag that it is has the most lines of code, but that really doesn't mean much if it's an inefficient language. The trouble is companies don't want to redo the thousand of libraries they already made. So, they keep needing cobol programmers. Same with Fortran I hear you can get many times more money doing that, but extremely few opportunities, which is why there's the high price. I think C++ is a strong language compile language. The problem is compilers. This why development seems to want to go the web computing style, run things on servers and to get machine independent code. And there might be advantages to JIT compiling. It is hard to say. When deal with language changes and hiring sometimes they will create compilers to convert say C++ syntax into Cobol and then compile that. Businesses will do what is easier and lowers costs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

We've been C++11'ing the vast majority of our code base at work and I'm torn between "wow this is neat/useful" and "why in the hell did they shove that crap in here?". I'm tired of languages trying to protect me from myself, I like raw pointers. The lambda stuff is nifty, but syntactical sugar for function pointers. The auto stuff looks good, but haven't had a legitamite need to use it yet. It feels like a lot of additions was simply to draw some of the younger crowd away from Ruby, Python, et al. but why???? There's a reason these language exist and are different from one another.

Maybe I'm just a really grumpy old man at 26?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostKYA, on 07 March 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

The lambda stuff is nifty, but syntactical sugar for function pointers.

No, it's syntactical sugar for functors. Function pointers are strictly less powerful.

The auto stuff looks good, but haven't had a legitamite need to use it yet.

It's a convenience feature, you never need to use it. Some people were just tired of typing out vector< vector<string> >::iterator is all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +