2 Replies - 6270 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2011 - 01:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Another success story

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

With games like Terraria and Magicka, the game development industry appears to be taking XNA more seriously. I'm sure we've all heard of Terraria, which began development in January of 2011. Released in the third week of May, at the time of this posting Terraria is believed to have sold over 800,000 copies through Steam, and I'll happily admit that I am one of those numbers. Today while browsing my usual game news sites I came across another success story about a game that was created by a Swedish development team by the name of Arrowhead. The name of this game is Magicka. The article below states that it is believed that Magicka will reach the 800,000 copies sold mark within the next couple of weeks.

With all the horrible "games" that have been developed over the past few years with XNA, it's great to see that indie developers are starting to show the potential of XNA and trying to get beyond the shitty "massage apps" and less than stellar "games" and any of that other crap that I'm sure we as XNA developers would love to forget about that can be found on XBLIG. To be honest, I feel as though the XBLIG market has been tainted with far too many abysmal projects to be salvageable at this point. PC development on the other hand appears to be getting better and better each month. The market is growing and XNA is more than just a hobbyist's tool now. XNA is finally getting the successful games that it deserves. Congratulations to the guys at Arrowhead for their success and thanks to them for helping make the XNA portfolio that much better.

http://www.joystiq.c...ancial-success/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Another success story

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Another success story

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

Great news :)

The fact that a game made in 4 months sold 800,000 copies shows the power of XNA.
If they made it in C++, it'll most likely won't be out for another year.

And I agree, the indie marketplace is beyond salvagable now.

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 17 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Another success story

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

I already mentioned this game in two threads on the subject :P

Another group of guys that just decided to make a game for fun.

I suggest you watch the developers play through it, it's very interesting http://youtu.be/aYkAKqys6Ds
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1