7 Replies - 709 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Microsoft Partner Exam Academy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

https://blogs.msdn.c...am-academy.aspx

This looks like a great one stop shop for anyone looking into certs. This might motivate me to jump on some certs when I have time (and the cash).

What is Partner Exam Academy?
It is a resource designed for our partners to connect you with preparation materials (including free and for-fee) you need to get yourself ready for the Microsoft certification exams.

Why Microsoft Partner Exam Academy?
We know that achieving Microsoft certifications for your individuals and competencies for your organization is important. In addition, we know your time is valuable, so we want to help make sure you are ready for your exams when you take them.

What exams are included in Microsoft Partner Exam Academy?

By popular demand, we are starting with these two offers:
Partner Exam Academy: Prepare for Desktop Exam (Exam 70-681)
Partner Exam Academy: Preparation for Virtualization Exams (Exams 70-401, 70-659, and 70-669)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] Microsoft Partner Exam Academy

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Microsoft Partner Exam Academy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Being someone who works at home for the same employer I've been with for years...

And I'm sure the rookies are going to ask...

Do the MS certificates really mean anything in the real world of getting a job?

I mean half the time college sure doesn't mean anything because who wants to hire a wet-behind-the-ears kid, when there are so many experienced people looking for work? In this economy the balance of power rests with the employer.

So are these certs (and the associated costs and time) really beneficial?

(Exam 70-681)

OMG! Really? They have a piece of paper that certifies you to be able to install Windows and Microsoft Office? You have got to be kidding me.
http://www.microsoft....aspx?id=70-681

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 15 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

Yes, that would be the perennial question. From what I understand - depend on the company certs do matter. My guess is it provides some assurance that of a standardized skills set is met and maintained over a given period. Usually contractors tend to have a book of certs they have achieved and maintained. I view it as a form of 'continuing ed with some sort of proof'. Basically validation.

I've thought about pursuing some of the computer forensics certs other companies were offering, but I just never have the time.

As for the 70-681 - to be fair some of the 'skills measured' are actually pretty complex for the average Joe.
https://www.microsof...?id=70-681#tab2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm currently a coop still in college, and it's been suggested to me to grab some certs in the products I'm learning. In general, I've heard that a cert usually won't land you a job, but when you don't have a lot of experience to back you up otherwise it's a nice way to differentiate yourself or add a different angle to your credibility.

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 August 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

As for the 70-681 - to be fair some of the 'skills measured' are actually pretty complex for the average Joe.
https://www.microsof...?id=70-681#tab2

What I find funny here is the percentages - why they decided to split the four sections' weight on the exam to be 24%, 25%, 27% and 24%? Is making "Deploying Windows" 27% really so important that they can't just make each section worth 25%?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Some sections are more important than others. Over the years the various support desk folk I've encountered would do good to have those percentages posted on their wall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

I totally agree, but when you're talking about a difference of 1-2% points, does it really matter that much? I'd understand if they thought "Configuring and Deploying Office 2010" was 20% and "Deploying Windows 7" was 30%, but at some point they're just splitting hairs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Percentages are required, but symmetry is not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm just curious how one qualifies a single % point of importance - I'd like to know what kind of metrics determine those percentages. Something I saw too was that 2 out of the 4 exams listed on that site don't list any percentages (70-659 and 70-669), although I'm guessing that's an oversight in forgetting to include them.

To add to the topic, after looking over 70-681 I think it definitely is more than your average Joe can do, but I don't think it merits a Microsoft Certification. Unless I was applying for a job where I'd spend a decent portion of my time installing Windows 7 and Office (please shoot me if I ever do), I can't imagine the worth of that certificate. Just because something is a skill you can learn doesn't mean there's any value to having a certificate to show your "standardized competency" in that area.

So can certificates be good? Yeah, assuming they're not completely irrelevant. I think the presence of mediocre certifications downgrades the more challenging certs - afterall, someone who completes 70-681 still has the right to say, "I'm Microsoft Certified", just like an MCA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1